We are developing cutting-edge technology to solve the hardest problems in education.
NovoEd is a student-centered online learning environment that emphasizes collaboration and teamwork through techniques in human-computer interaction, algorithms, and social network design. We make online learning engaging and effective through our social learning environment (platform) and courses optimized for project-based learning (content). Based in San Francisco, CA, our small team has already built the most advanced online learning and collaboration platform, which offers both free and paid classes.
NovoEd’s Engineering team is a team of collaborative, passionate and smart engineers. We work closely with designers and product managers to build the most intuitive, sleek and smooth learning experiences. We take pride in designing high quality code, in our attention to code style, our code review culture and our culture of learning together as a team. We have bi-weekly engineering lunches where we discuss and tackle technical and non-technical challenges faced by our engineering organization. We enjoy monthly team events with the NovoEd team and our engineering team outings.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Hundreds of thousands of students take NovoEd's courses. We are looking for full-stack or backend engineers with experience building and scaling web and/or mobile applications. Challenges include:
- Designing a scalable and service-oriented architecture with extensible REST APIs that can be consumed by our own platform and partner application
- Scaling an operational database from hundreds of thousands of users to tens of millions of users with simultaneous access
- Building a scalable messaging and notifications system to keep students up to date on class assignments, new content, and messages from classmates
- Ensuring a good user experience by optimizing for performance of the NovoEd app: backend apis, CDNs, caches
- Designing a scalable small services architecture that optimizes speed and ease of development
- Thinking about and foreseeing architectural points of failure
- Designing scalable architecture to avoid bigger course offerings from service interruptions in smaller ones
- Ensure 99.99% uptime and certain endpoint response time SLAs
- Protecting user privacy, ensuring data security, and maintaining FERPA and COPPA compliance
We use Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Redis, Sidekiq, Memcached, EC2, and other AWS services to build our backend apis and backend infrastructure. We don't need you to know all these technologies but having working knowledge of some of them is a huge plus.
Understanding of backend api concepts, professional knowledge of databases, understanding web frameworks and design patterns is a requirement for this role. Having experience in a scalable sever-side technology such as PHP or Java is required, however working knowledge of a web framework is a big plus. You will be consistently working with our data and optimizing for more performant access to data, experience with caching and understanding of relational databases will be important in this role.
Our ideal candidate is a collaborative lifelong learner who can pick up new technologies, aspires to build high quality user experiences and cares deeply about the performance and extendability of their work. We are looking for team players who will contribute to our product as well as the growth and culture of our team.
854 Folsom St, San Francisco, CA. A 10 minute walk from San Francisco Caltrain station, a 10 minute walk from the Powell BART station.
We offer a competitive salary and generous equity in one of the hottest edtech start-ups, in addition to 100% medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage, we offer unlimited time off, lunch 5 days/week, fully stocked fridge, an awesome office space, and provide all the technology you need. More importantly, we have the friendliest, warmest and best team we've all ever seen!!