We are searching for a talented Massive Parallel Processing (MPP) Database Engineer to join our CloudTracker (https://www.novetta.com/products/cloudtracker/) product team. The successful candidate will have significant experience in working with data warehouses. Our team is using Amazon RedShift, but we are open to interviewing candidates who have not yet worked with RedShift specifically. As a member of the team, you will be responsible for all aspects of database design, implementation, query construction/execution, and monitoring/optimization.
If you’re looking for a highly visible role in a great company, working with other super smart people, and want to help build a modern, cloud-native web application on AWS and Azure, then we want to speak with you! We use Agile Scrum, and release working software at the end of each two week sprint using CI/CD with Jenkins. We follow sound engineering best practices to design / mock, spec, build, test, and publish capabilities our users want and need. If this sounds interesting to you, please read the minimum requirements and apply!
- Works with the business analyst and other team members to understand project objectives; analyzes and proposes related work objectives/tasks
- Assists with the design, implementation, and integration of software applications with database engines, data structures and functions.
- Decomposes work into executable tasks that are achievable within a two week sprint
- Designs, develops, and optimizes database designs (cluster size, infrastructure resources, table structures/layout, etc) for optimal performance of processing-intensive analytics over very large data sets.
- Performs algorithm development (query construction, analysis) over massive shared/replicated datasets.
- Identifies and troubleshoots issues (stuck queries, connection pooling, query performance, cluster performance, etc)
- Applies industry standards and engineering best practices that are appropriate for building/delivering production-grade software.
- Ensures efficient delivery of engineering capabilities using repeatable processes.
- Identifies and mitigates risks that are associated with overall system performance, and delivery of production-grade systems
- Conducts thorough testing using representative datasets to accurately profile query performance for evaluation/optimization
- Reviews database performance against design requirements and documents results.
- Proposes and applies appropriate tools that assist with monitoring/optimizing, and identifying/resolving database related problems
- Ensures quality control over all related work products.
Significant experience and deep understanding of:
o MPP data warehouses and architectures. Bonus for AWS RedShift, but could be Asterdata, Teradata, Greenplum, Oracle RAC, SQL Data Warehouse, etc
o Database programming with SQL and any vendor specific dialects -e.g. PL/pgSQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL, etc
o On-line analytical processing (OLAP) and on-line transaction processing (OLTP) query models
o Data interchange formats -e.g. CSV, JSON, XML
o Data schemes/structures, functions and normalization -e.g. tables, data types, views, indexes, triggers, stored procs, runtime classes, first - fifth normal form.
o Affiliated tools and techniques related to database and query design/construction/optimization -e.g. logging/auditing; performance monitoring; query execution analysis; issue detection, root cause analysis and resolution.
Basic familiarity with:
o Analyzing business requirements and devising work objectives/tasks
o Task decomposition and estimation
o SCRUM/Agile -e.g. Use Cases, User Stories, Work Tasks, Atlassian JIRA, Confluence.
o Git/Github source control
Ability to work independently without supervision
Demonstrates good analytical thinking and problem solving skills
Ability to work well in teams, and possesses good communication skills
Other Bonus Skills/Experience
- AWS/Azure Certifications and/or prior experience with Amazon RedShift
- DoD 8570 Level I and applicable Computing Environment (CE) certifications
(these will be required to be obtained/maintained)
Security Clearance: Eligible
Novetta, from complexity to clarity.
Novetta delivers highly scalable advanced analytics and secure technology solutions to address challenges of national and global significance. Focused on mission success, Novetta pioneers disruptive technologies in machine learning, data analytics, full-spectrum cyber, cloud engineering, open source analytics, and multi-INT fusion for Defense, Intelligence Community, and Federal Law Enforcement customers. Novetta is headquartered in McLean, VA with over 1,300 employees across the U.S.
Our culture is shaped by a commitment to our core values:
Integrity • We hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
Customer Success • We strive daily to exceed expectations and achieve customer mission success.
Employee Focus • We invest in our employees’ professional development and training, respecting individuality, and fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Innovation • We know that discovering new and innovative ways to solve problems is critical to our success and makes us a great company.
Excellence in Execution • We take pride in flawless execution as we build a company that is best in class.
Earn a REFERRAL BONUS for the qualified people you know.
For more details or to submit a referral, visit bit.ly/NovettaReferrals.
Novetta is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.