The world needs smart food solutions that are friendly to the palate and the planet, but right now, plant-based and alternative protein products just don’t stack up to the real thing.
And that’s where Nourish comes in.
Our animal-free fats and oils make alternative proteins taste delicious. With our science, we can tailor flavour profiles that precisely reproduce the taste and mouthfeel of beef, chicken, fish, milk, cheese and beyond. Products made with our fats are more than an alternative, they’re a straight up improvement. Backed by Horizons Ventures and Main Sequence Ventures, Nourish Ingredients are a key player in the future of a smarter, more sustainable, and more diverse food system.
Our team is growing rapidly and we’re on the hunt for a solutions focused Sensory Scientist to work with our Food Science Team and help our company to achieve our big, audacious goals to transform the plant-based and alternative protein sector.
This person will…
- Lead, design and perform sensory research for product optimisation and
- Analyse data, write up experiments and results, report and coordinate with Team Lead in guiding new product development.
- Establish and provide training to internal sensory panels.
- Provide support for other team members in experimental planning, lab performance, product development and packaging when required.
- Collaborate with external sensory labs and collaborators to design consumer testing protocols for new products and linkage projects.
- Assist with the development of standard operating procedure, protocols, and processes to help align sensory analysis across the organization.
- Coordinate with Team lead for defining and planning team development strategies.
- Coordinate with Lab custodian to manage lab resources.
- A PhD in sensory and consumer science with evidence of relevant postdoc experience; or a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree with at least 5 years of experience in food industry in a sensory working role.
- Significant experience in leading, designing, and conducting sensory and consumer science research.
- Experience in food product development with strong understanding of food flavours.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and experience to work effectively, and to establish and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, collaborators, and clients.
- Ability to think innovatively, problem solve creatively, and work proactively.
- Ability to work independently and in team.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Active participation and leadership in lab safety, environmental policy, food safety and regulatory compliance.
It would be great, but not essential, if you also had:
- Understanding of meat and dairy product flavour.
- Experience in analytical techniques for aroma compounds in meat and dairy products, lipids and lipid derivatives.
- A self-starter and can manage up as well as down with equal ease.
- A creative problem solver and fast mover, even in times of uncertainty.
- The opportunity to be part of something big as we set out to change the way the planet looks at sustainable, plant-based alternatives
- A supportive and collaborative environment
- Loads of room for growth and career development – with the opportunity to further shape your role as our company grows.
- Work alongside some of the world’s leading science, food technology, fermentation and synthetic biology organisations and innovators
- The potential to participate in the Nourish Employee Share Option Plan.
- Generous relocation budget and support for interstate or overseas individuals
**Maybe this role is not for you if:
- You need a lot of direction or a roadmap to start a project.
- Don't enjoy the tactical and task-driven parts of the role.
- Prefer to have a role with specific focus – working in a fast-paced start-up you may need to wear many hats and get your hands dirty with tasks and projects outside of the traditional scope of this role.
Here’s how to apply:
Send us your CV along with a brief cover letter telling us about why you’re the person for the job and why you want to work for Nourish Ingredients.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of solving real world problems and help spur the next era of alternative protein food production. Find out more about Nourish Ingredients here: