The world needs smart food solutions that are friendly to the palate and the planet, but right now, plant-based and alternative protein products just don’t stack up to the real thing.
And that’s where Nourish comes in.
Our animal-free fats and oils make alternative proteins taste delicious. With our science, we can tailor flavour profiles that precisely reproduce the taste and mouthfeel of beef, chicken, fish, milk, cheese and beyond. Products made with our fats are more than an alternative, they’re a straight up improvement. Backed by Horizons Ventures and Main Sequence Ventures, Nourish Ingredients are a key player in the future of a smarter, more sustainable, and more diverse food system.
Our team is growing rapidly and we’re on the hunt for a solution focussed Food Scientist (meat and meat plant-based products) to support our food science team and help our company to achieve our big, audacious goals to transform the plant-based and alternative protein sector.
This person will…
- Develop formulation for enhanced meaty aroma using Nourish Ingredients.
- Develop new food product prototypes (including, but not limited to meat and plant-based meat products) using Nourish Ingredients materials.
- Lead, design and perform research for product optimisation and innovation.
- Collaborate with sensory scientists and other team members and/or external sensory labs to execute sensory tests for new products.
- Analyse data, write up experiments and results, report to Team lead and provide feedbacks to appropriate team members.
- Establish and provide training to food technicians.
- Provide support for other team members in experimental planning, lab performance, product development and packaging.
- Assist with the development of standard operating procedure, protocols, comply with all lab safety and regulatory procedures.
- Coordinate with Team lead for defining and planning team development strategies.
- Collaborate with Lab custodian to manage lab resources.
- Other duties as agreed with Team Lead.
- A PhD degree with expertise in meat processing with evidence of relevant postdoc experience; or a Bachelor's/Master’s Degree with at least 5 years of experience in meat processing industry.
- Significant hands-on experience in new meat/meat plant-based product development and characterisation.
- Strong understanding of meat and plant-based meat products, meat flavor, meat aroma and texture.
- Significant experience in leading, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data and writing reports.
- Ability to think innovatively, problem solve creatively, and work proactively.
- Ability to work independently and in team.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to coach and mentor technicians and junior scientists
It would be great, but not essential, if you also had:
- Experience in analytical techniques for aroma compounds in meat and dairy products Experience in analysis techniques for lipids and lipid derivatives.
- A self-starter and can manage up as well as down with equal ease.
- A creative problem solver and fast mover, even in times of uncertainty.
- Opportunity to be part of something big as we set out to change the way the planet looks at sustainable, plant-based alternatives
- A supportive and collaborative environment
- Loads of room for growth and career development – with the opportunity to further shape your role as our company grows.
- Work alongside some of the world’s leading science, food technology, fermentation and synthetic biology organisations and innovators
- The potential to participate in the Nourish Employee Share Option Plan.
- Generous relocation budget and support.
**Maybe this role is not for you if:
- You need a lot of direction or a roadmap to start a project.
- Don't enjoy the tactical and task-driven parts of the role.
- Prefer to have a role with specific focus – working in a fast-paced start-up you may need to wear many hats and get your hands dirty with tasks and projects outside of the traditional scope of this role.
Here’s how to apply:
Send us your CV along with a brief cover letter telling us about why you’re the person for the job and why you want to work for Nourish Ingredients.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of solving real world problems and help spur the next era of alternative protein food production. Find out more about Nourish Ingredients here: