We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
About The Role:
Do you want to help set the foundations for product and engineering data science at Notion? As an early member of the product and engineering data science team, you'll be instrumental in setting the roadmap for how these teams work together, and then doing the hands on work to execute against it. There will be significant variation from one day to the next, but whether you're exploring what a successful Notion account looks like, building out a core activity data set, or running experiments to evaluate the success of a key feature launch, you'll absolutely impact the development of Notion.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll partner with a product or engineering pillar at every step of the development process, driving forward data science and analytics work in that area.
- You’ll explore Notion’s data using statistical inference or modeling techniques, identifying key patterns in user behavior and making actionable product and business recommendations based on that information.
- You'll design the right set of experiments or analyses to evaluate the success of new features and other product or engineering changes, and help your teams use these results to drive informed iteration.
- You'll work with your teams to determine both north star and operational metrics, and build and maintain the dashboards that those teams rely on for monitoring progress and making key decisions.
- You'll communicate your findings with the rest of the company, and drive and verify change in our product and business. (Insights are useful. Impact is even better!)
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- You have spent meaningful time as a data scientist partnering with product, engineering or growth teams. You can draw on that experience to identify where data can have the most impact and clearly communicate to your partner teams what that impact is.
- You have expertise in SQL and at least one scripting language (ideally Python or R).
- You know how to use statistical inference and experimentation to drive actionable recommendations.
- You have experience building predictive models, and you know how to evaluate their effectiveness.
- You are comfortable transforming raw data to build your own data sets if the measure you need doesn't exist yet.
- You have a bias for using the right tools to get a job done with maximum efficiency. You have experience making tradeoffs between speed and accuracy.
Nice to Haves:
- You have worked at a fast-growing start-up.
- You have experience at a B2B SaaS company.
- You have helped design processes that data science teams use to collaborate with their product and engineering peers.
- You have a track record of acting as a thought partner to product or engineering leaders, driving strategic decisions on these teams using data.
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco or New York City, the estimated base salary range for this role is $160,000 - $255,000 per year.