We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
About The Role:
Since the launch of Notion, the company has been on a mission to make toolmaking ubiquitous - from wikis to documents, notes, tasks, databases, etc. A strong product intuition and focus on users have helped the company achieve adoption across businesses of all sizes. Today, millions of users rely on Notion's building blocks to get their work done.
As Notion continues to grow quickly, there is a unique opportunity to build the foundations of data and help the product and company reach their full potential. This is where you come in — to design and build reliable, trusted and timely datasets that accelerate the decision-making process of key product and business functions. You will have a strong impact on the roadmap and the growth trajectory of the company.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll define the processes and ETL infrastructure to transform and make data readily available across the company
- You'll build core datasets to serve as unique sources of truth for product and business functions (product, marketing, sales, finance, customer experience, data science, business operations, IT, engineering)
- You'll partner with data scientists and other internal stakeholders to understand their needs and then design, build and monitor pipelines that meet today's requirements but can gracefully scale with our growing data size
- You'll implement automated workflows that lower manual/operational cost for stakeholders, define and uphold SLAs for timely delivery of data, move the company closer to democratizing data and a self-serve model (query exploration, dashboards, data catalog, data discovery)
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- You are a self-starter and continuously gather and synthesize high-impact needs from business partners, design and implementing the appropriate technical solutions, and effectively communicating about deliverables, timelines and tradeoffs
- You've spent 3+ years as a data engineer building core datasets and supporting business verticals as needed. You are passionate about analytics use cases, data models and solving complex data problems
- You have hands-on experience shipping scalable data solutions in the cloud (e.g AWS, GCP, Azure), across multiple data stores (e.g Snowflake, Redshift, Hive, SQL/NoSQL, columnar storage formats) and methodologies (e.g dimensional modeling, data marts, star/snowflake schemas)
- You are an SQL expert. You intimately understand aggregation functions, window functions, UDFs, self-joins, partitioning and clustering approaches to run correct and highly-performant queries
- You are highly comfortable with object-oriented programming paradigms (e.g Python, Java, Scala)
Nice to Haves:
- You have worked at a fast-growing start-up, a SaaS company or are eager to contribute in such an environment (being a current Notion user would be great!)
- You have hands-on experience in designing and building highly scalable and reliable data pipelines using BigData stack (e.g Airflow, DBT, Spark, Hive, Parquet/ORC, Protobuf/Thrift, etc)
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.