We make software that anyone can mold and shape to take on every challenge — from taking personal notes to running large companies. We've been building together since 2016 and are trusted by customers including Nike, Airbnb, Slack, Samsung, and more. We're excited to be growing a team as diverse and creative as the millions of people we reach worldwide, and a company where everyone can thrive.
About The Role:
Building software that can be molded to fit an incredible variety of uses and applications presents unique legal opportunities. As our Product Counsel, you would be one of the first members of Notion’s Legal Team. You will have the chance to address issues of first impression and build the foundation to help Notion meet its ambitious goals. We are looking for a team member who is excited about our passionate user base and is interested in joining a dedicated cross-functional team that releases products for that audience.
This role will be based in our San Francisco office. However, under current circumstances, remote work is being accommodated in order to comply with safety measures.
What You'll Do:
- Serve as the first point of contact for legal issues throughout the product development lifecycle and provide practical day to day and strategic advice to the engineering, product, and platform teams
- Support the readiness and release of products and features by identifying and driving resolution of issues related to privacy, data security, marketing, competition, intellectual property, and other legal and regulatory areas
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of agreements relating to product offerings, integrations, developer tools, third-party software development, open-source software, and other technology and strategic partnerships
- Develop and deliver training and communications relating to product development and licensing topics
- Address a variety of issues of first impression and other special projects as needed
What We're Looking For:
- A Juris Doctor (JD) degree and admission to the California bar or ability to be registered as in-house counsel in California
- 7+ years of experience practicing as a technology transactions, regulatory or product attorney within a software technology company
- Experience counseling on the launch of products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the software industry
- Knowledge of privacy regulations (GDPR, CCPA, etc.) and the ability to incorporate those principles into the product development process
- Desire to help cross functional teams build scalable processes to provide products that our customers can trust
- Resilience, resourcefulness, and the ability to make recommendations and decisions with imperfect facts
- Independent and strategic thought combined with excellent team player qualities (no job is too small or too large) and a willingness to take on additional responsibilities
- Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Prior experience with a fast growing technology company
- Familiarity using Notion