We make software that anyone can mold and shape to take on every challenge — from taking personal notes to running large companies. We've been building together since 2016 and are trusted by customers including Nike, Airbnb, Slack, Samsung, and more. We're excited to be growing a team as diverse and creative as the millions of people we reach worldwide, and a company where everyone can thrive.
About The Role:
Remember the first time you solved a problem by programming? The delight and excitement you felt when it finally...worked? We want to deliver that experience to everyone by giving them the building blocks to create useful tools of all kinds—without needing to code. Engineering managers at Notion are responsible for creating and fostering the user-focused, collaborative, and high-performing teams building products that help make everyone a toolmaker.
What You'll Do:
- You'll build and manage a diverse and inclusive team of engineers working on core parts of Notion's product.
- You'll recruit, coach, and develop engineers; you'll ensure engineers are regularly receiving feedback and that they are making rapid progress on personal and professional goals.
- You'll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You'll be responsible for maintaining a high quality bar for everything your team ships.
- You'll collaborate closely with peers from other functions—Design, Product, Marketing, Sales, and Support, to name a few—on our overall product roadmap, on product launches, and on ongoing operations.
- You'll work with others to shape how Notion's engineering organization works—you'll help develop our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
What We're Looking For:
- You have managed engineering teams with a record of shipping high-quality products.
- You have built, or are committed to building, diverse and inclusive teams.
- You create team environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where engineers do their best work.
- You have a sufficiently deep background in product and technology that you can ask the right questions of your team, balance product, tech, and people concerns, and make hard tradeoffs.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change, especially around organizational structure and the boundaries of your role. You enjoy jumping into whatever areas need attention and learning as-you-go.
- You value empathetic and direct communication, particularly when giving and receiving feedback.
- You have managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience rolling out engineering and management practices and processes—e.g., code review, performance reviews, and levels and ladders—where they didn't exist before.
- You've managed teams that are partially (or entirely) remote.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.