North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We also organize people across race and class to give in support of social justice movements.
The Storytelling Associate will be part of a three-person comms team focused on three lines of narrative: uplifting grassroots organizing by communities of color in New York, highlighting ways of responsibly resourcing grassroots movements, and challenging the norms of white supremacy in philanthropy. We need a storyteller with a focus on written content creation who can generate text for our channels including our website, email, social media and print in coordination with the rest of the team.
This position is full-time (we have a 32-hour work week). They will report to the Communications Director and will regularly partner with other staff. North Star Fund staff is currently working remotely and has not yet set a date for return to our physical office. The Storytelling Associate is expected to reside in the New York City or Hudson Valley region and to be available for meetings and events in the communities we serve.
- Generating short text description drafts and short content drafts about North Star Fund grantees, grants and the way we work for online and offline channels. This includes content on our website, mass emails, and our print newsletter along with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. (40%)
- Monitoring and responding to the schedule for stories that has been outlined in our internal editorial calendar (Airtable) and project management system (Asana). (10%)
- Participating in ongoing cycles of editing and revision with the Comms Team and other teams at North Star Fund. (20%)
- Working with transcripts from events to ensure they are accurate and available on the website. (10%)
- Participating in narrative strategy meetings within the Comms Team and within the broader organization to give context to stories. (15%)
- Supporting accessibility of our content for users across physical abilities, using plain language and supporting multilingual communication. (5%)
- Ability to create original written content within the framework of our editorial calendar and our style guide
- Skill in quickly drafting accurate and compelling content about a range of social justice issues that affect New Yorkers
- Knowledge of how to write for different channels based on the requirements of the channels themselves and our audience priorities
- Ability to coordinate with staff and grantees as stories move through a production cycle (write, edit, rewrite, attach media, proof and fact check, optimize for SEO, analyze)
- Ability to proofread content generated by transcribers or by colleagues on the Comms Team in English or other languages
- Ability to generate and monitor analytics for content that you produce or others on our team produce
North Star Fund is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly, and disabled candidates to apply.
- This job requires the ability to read/access printed materials sent to us by grantees (for example, newsletters or annual reports).
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $63,300 or $70,900 based on specific criteria, with future opportunities for advancement. North Star Fund offers full benefits including employer-covered health/vision/dental, life, and disability insurance (we also cover 75% of insurance premiums for dependents), a group 403(b) retirement plan (with an employer contribution after one year), more than 25 days of paid time off (vacation, holidays, and the last week in December), and a sabbatical after five years of employment.
We're currently in the interview process for this position, so applicants may experience a delay in updates about the hiring.
Did you consider applying for this job and then decide not to apply? Give us feedback on this job posting using this form.