North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We also organize people across race and class to give in support of social justice movements.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for committed people who put the mission front and center. We believe our organization should be led at all levels by people who bring a deep commitment to grassroots organizing, especially the leadership of Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) communities.
We are looking for people who bring a discipline of teamwork and thoughtful collaboration. We value a workplace where everyone pitches in to get the job done, and we look to each other for support in busy times.
We seek patient people who bring integrity and resolve to actively disrupt power dynamics based on systems of oppression, like structural racism, classism, patriarchy, homophobia and transphobia, ageism, and ableism.
We encourage a commitment to personal and professional development. None of us are immune from improvement. We all benefit from receiving and processing feedback about our work and our leadership within North Star Fund.
Hiring Process and Timeline
When you apply for a job at North Star Fund, here’s what you can expect:
- All our job applications will include a request for a cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us what compels you about our mission and share examples of work you’ve done in the past that prepares you for the position. This could be paid work, volunteer work, or activist work.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We conduct the first round of interviews with 6–8 of the most promising candidates.
- The first round often involves a work sample or short exercise that we review without knowing who submitted it to help us assess applicants’ skills while minimizing bias.
- We interview 2–3 finalists about 1–2 week(s) after the first round.
- We check references for 1–2 finalists.
- Finalists can expect to hear back from us in 1–2 weeks.
- The hiring process may take between 2 and 3 months from initial posting of the job opportunity until an offer is made.
To apply for a job at North Star Fund, please follow the instructions on the specific job announcement. No calls please.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to equity and diversity and to the recruitment and retention of people from backgrounds traditionally excluded from philanthropy, including Black, Indigenous and people of color, women, LGBTQ people, elders, and people with disabilities.