We’re the banking app that believes in small businesses.
Our company is looking for high performing builders to join our growing team as we enter our next phase of expansion 🚀. We are a San Francisco, New York, Portland, Toronto and remote-friendly based, venture-backed startup at the heart of the FinTech movement that is shaping the way financial services are delivered. We are backed by some of the best VCs in the world (Battery Ventures, Redpoint Ventures and more) and are growing fast.
We eliminate the pain that small business owners face through financial management and banking. Poor financial literacy has an outsized impact on the costs and failure rates amongst small businesses, and we are on a mission to solve these problems. We’ve created a mobile, tech-powered account built specifically for startups, freelancers, and small/medium-sized businesses (SMBs) that acts as a world-class Finance Department that most small businesses could never afford. Small businesses are the bedrock of every community and the economy, and you’ll be their champion. Ready to start?
We ❤️ technology. Thoughtful and rigorous product development makes us giddy. That’s why when it comes to software development, everybody plays in the orchestra. We’ve got a fast moving team of engineers led by our Head of Engineering who’s spent over a decade building technology at both Fortune 500 companies and startups. You’ll also benefit from our incredible advisors and experienced management team, who have helped create and scale companies like Square, McKinsey, Google, Frank and Oak, Strava, Instacart, Prodigy, Oportun, eBay and more.
As a Senior Full Stack Developer (Backend Focus) you'll build and scale a best-in-class banking experience as part of a development team focused on customer onboarding, risk, user identity, and authentication. You may wear many hats, sometimes acting as technical subject matter expert, mentor, or project lead.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Delivering maintainable and scalable software using primarily React, ReactNative, TypeScript, GraphQL, and AWS (we’re very proud of our event-driven architecture!), alongside a team that values pairing and creative problem solving.
- Partnering with Product, Design, QA, Data, and other engineers to plan and build the right solutions that meet customer and business needs.
- Growing into a subject matter expert in one or more areas of our technical domain, such as services using AWS Lambda, EventBridge, NodeJS, and more.
- Establishing code patterns and best practices.
Today you might be a Senior Software Developer, Lead Full Stack Developer, Backend Software Engineer or the equivalent in your company...or something that we haven’t heard of yet - we keep an open mind. The most important characteristic of our Senior Full Stack Developer joining our team is your attitude. We want you to join because you don't see roadblocks, you see opportunities to be at your best. You know that somehow, you and the rest of our team can figure anything out.
- You have at least 4 years experience in at least one modern programming language (Reactjs, TypeScript, CSS)
- You get excited working with complex and secure server architectures (distributed, stateless)
- You have a strong understanding of API protocols and GraphQL
- You have strong knowledge of AWS (Lambda, EventBridge, Redshift, IAM)
- You’ve worked with an event driven architecture or microservice system architecture
- You enjoy experimentation and working quickly, using data to make decisions, and iterating to continuously improve.
- You can communicate and collaborate with teams to connect the dots between departments and stakeholders.
- You have experience working on an Agile scrum team with Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence, etc).
Bonus points -
- You have experience building out products at scale in a SaaS, Payments, or FinTech environment.
- You’ve developed web or mobile applications based on technical and functional specs using React Native, Java, or Swift
Our Tech Stack 💻-
- Client-side: TypeScript, ReactJS, React Native, CSS, HTML5
- Server-side: TypeScript (NodeJS), Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, Kinesis, ElasticSearch, Redshift, other AWS serverless tools
- Tools: Slack, Bitbucket, AWS, CircleCI, Kibana, Jira, Serverless framework, Terraform, Sentry
- Integrations: Intercom, Segment, Mandrill, Stripe, Twilio
Our mission is big and audacious, but we're assembling a team to take the challenge head on.
As a Senior Full Stack Developer, you'll be joining a team that prioritizes:
- People: Our company is more than just a business. We’re a tight-knit team supporting each other on our mission to rebuild business banking. We’re really serious about mission, fit, and the people we work with. You’ll be part of a rapidly scaling team that reflects these values and keeps this place special.
- Diversity: You'll find yourself in an environment that values diversity and inclusivity. We believe that a broad array of lived experiences and backgrounds are essential for creating the best possible product and company culture.
- Leadership: You’re right in the thick of it, making critical decisions that will clear our path forward.
- Top-tier health/dental benefits: We care about the people we work with and put their health first. NorthOne is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours: We don't clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Unlimited paid time off: We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take as much time off as you need to recharge and make sure you’re working sustainably.
- The latest computer equipment: We make sure you have the best equipment so you can produce great work.
- Professional development budget: We support lifelong learners by covering the cost of classes, workshops and conferences. You'll also get access to our ever-growing library of industry-related books.
- Remote and in person get-togethers: Bond with your teammates over shared interests at regular get-togethers. Find like-minded people who are passionate about everything from sport and music to gaming and cooking.
- Remote-friendly environment: Flexibility to work from home, office, or both! We support our teammates wherever they prefer to work.
- One hell of an adventure!
Few people have been trained for this sort of role and research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they haven’t satisfied every requirement. If you are this close to what we’ve described, but aren’t sure, apply. Let’s figure out together if this is where you could shine.
NorthOne is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or national origin.