We’re the banking app that believes in small businesses.
Our company is looking for a Copywriter to join our growing team as we enter a new phase of expansion 🚀 We are a New York, San Francisco, Portland and Toronto-based startup at the heart of the FinTech movement that is shaping the way financial services are delivered. We are backed by some of the best VCs in the world (Battery, Redpoint, Tom Williams and more) and are growing fast.
Our company’s purpose is to eliminate the pain that small business owners face through financial management and banking. To achieve this, we’re rebuilding business banking from the ground up. Imagine you could start with a clean slate and think of a different way to deliver banking to small businesses. What would you change? How can you help them? These are the decisions that we make every day.
NorthOne is a mobile, tech-powered account built for startups, freelancers, and small/medium-sized businesses (SMBs). Poor financial literacy has an outsized impact on the costs and failure rates amongst SMBs, especially among the marginalized and less fortunate, and we are on a mission to eliminate these problems. We are more than a banking platform – we are the world-class Finance Department that most small businesses could never afford.
As a Copywriter, you’ll work with our world-class marketing, product, growth and design teams to communicate on behalf of NorthOne. Reporting to our Head of Brand Marketing, you’ll also benefit from our experienced management team, who have already created and exited startups and come from leadership roles at brands like Square, McKinsey, Google, Frank and Oak, Strava, Instacart, Prodigy, eBay and more.
We’re building a product that solves real pain vs the imagined kind. Small businesses are the bedrock of every community and of the American economy, and you’ll be their champion. Ready to start?
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Write in the voice of NorthOne for campaigns, activations, stories, experiences and ads.
- Adapt your work for all of our channels, like blogs, emails, social, UX and in-app communications.
- Collaborate with our Growth team to write ads, offers, onboarding flows, feature education and other tests.
- Partner with more senior creatives on major go-to-market and brand campaigns.
- Proofread anything and everything that crosses your path.
- Believe in the NorthOne brand and constantly look to inject our voice, tone and values into the work and advocate in the interests of the small business owner.
Today you might be a Copywriter, Blogger, Journalist, Content Strategist, Social Media Manager or the equivalent in your company… or something that we haven’t heard of yet. We keep an open mind.
The most important characteristic for our Copywriter is your attitude. We want you to join because you don't see roadblocks, you see opportunities to be at your best. You know that somehow, you can figure anything out.
The skills required for this role:
- Collaborative and egoless. We list this first because we really mean it. You’ll be part of a kind and generous team that will be completely committed to your success, and we expect the same in return.
- 2-4 years of professional copywriting experience. That said, it’s not all about how many years you’ve been working – it’s about your maturity as a creative.
- Outstanding writing. You get giddy about crafting the perfect tagline, tweet, blog post, or email.
- Gifted complex-to-simple translator. Our customer is the stressed-out business owner who needs help, and our job is to make financial management easy.
- Your tolerance for spelling errors and bad grammar is inspiringly low.
- Eager and curious. This is fun and dynamic writing that requires an appetite for trying new things and never becoming too attached to the outcome.
- Hard-working and autonomous. You’ll be creating meaningful work with little supervision.
- Thick-skinned and optimistic. You can balance your desire for perfection with a sense of humor and resilient spirit.
- Intellectually curious and open minded. We serve all kinds of business owners from all kinds of places.
- You’ve worked at a fast-growing startup
- You have experience with small business ownership and/or business finance
- An interest or background in fintech
- You’ve navigated a copywriting environment that includes compliance or regulatory oversight
Few people have been trained for this sort of role. If you are this close to what we’ve described but aren’t sure, apply. Let’s figure out together if this is where you could shine.
Our mission is big and audacious, but we're assembling a team to take the challenge head on.
As a Copywriter, you'll be joining a team that prioritizes:
- People: Our company is more than just a business. We’re a tight-knit team supporting each other on our mission to rebuild business banking. We’re really serious about mission, fit, and the people we work with. You’ll be part of a rapidly scaling team that reflects these values and keeps this place special.
- Diversity: You'll find yourself in an environment that values diversity and inclusivity. We believe that a broad array of lived experiences and backgrounds are essential for creating the best possible product and company culture.
- Leadership: You’re right in the thick of it, making critical decisions that will clear our path forward and caring for a talented team.
- Top-tier health/dental benefits: We care about the people we work with and put their health first. NorthOne is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours: We don't clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Unlimited paid time off: We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take as much time off as you need to recharge and make sure you’re working sustainably.
- The latest computer equipment: We make sure you have the best equipment so you can produce great work.
- Professional development budget: We support lifelong learners by covering the cost of classes, workshops and conferences. You'll also get access to our ever-growing library of industry-related books.
- Remote get-togethers: Bond with your teammates over shared interests at regular get-togethers. Find like-minded people who are passionate about everything from sport and music to gaming and cooking.
- One hell of an adventure!
If you recognize yourself in this job description, let's talk.
NorthOne is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or national origin.