We’re the banking app that believes in small businesses.
Our company is looking for a Manager, Product Design to join our growing team as we enter a new phase of expansion 🚀 We are a New York, San Francisco and Toronto-based startup at the heart of the FinTech movement that is shaping the way financial services are delivered. We are backed by some of the best VCs in the world (Battery, Redpoint, Tom Williams and more) and are growing fast.
Our company’s purpose is to eliminate the pain that small business owners face through financial management and banking. To achieve this, we’re rebuilding business banking from the ground up. Imagine you could start with a clean slate and think of a different way to deliver banking to small businesses. What would you change? How can you help them? These are the decisions that we make every day.
NorthOne is a mobile, tech-powered account built for startups, freelancers, and small/medium-sized businesses (SMBs). Poor financial literacy has an outsized impact on the costs and failure rates amongst SMBs, especially among the marginalized and less fortunate, and we are on a mission to eliminate these problems. We are more than a banking platform – we are the world-class Finance Department that most small businesses could never afford.
We ❤️ design, and our product team is growing rapidly. You’ll work with our world-class product managers, product designers, researchers and engineers to help shape the NorthOne product and team. This is the first hire of its kind at NorthOne and the potential for growth is big! Reporting to our Group Product Manager, you’ll benefit from our experienced management team, who have already created and exited startups and come from leadership roles at brands like Square, McKinsey, Google, Frank and Oak, Strava, Instacart, Prodigy, eBay and more.
We’re building a product that solves real pain vs the imagined kind. Small businesses are the bedrock of every community and of the American economy, and you’ll be their champion. Ready to start?
Today you might be a Lead Product Designer, Director of Product Design, Senior Product Designer or the equivalent in your company… or something that we haven’t heard of yet - we keep an open mind.
The most important characteristic for our Manager, Product Design is your attitude. We want you to join because you don't see roadblocks, you see opportunities to be at your best and bring out the best in your team. You know that somehow, you can figure anything out.
The skills required for this role:
- You’re passionate about building teams and culture. You’re collaborative, egoless, and someone who can inspire a team.
- You geek out over design ops - enforcing strong team performance, health, and quality of delivery through strong organization, project management, prioritization and overall design-led culture.
- You’re a master at leading and driving productive design feedback and review sessions. You know what other designers need to improve their work.
- You’re product-minded, strategic, and care deeply about customer feedback.
- You’re experienced in creating processes that improve design quality and efficiency.
- You’re an expert at partnering with product managers and other cross-functional teams to deliver world-class product experiences that drive value for the customer.
- You’re able to set the standard for the team and have a track record of working on top-tier customer facing products - with an unparalleled bar for quality.
- You’re not only a strong designer, but equally skilled at articulating how and why design matters.
- You've helped create design direction for a fast scaling company, or taken an awesome brand to the next level (consumer brands strongly preferred).
- You’ve led a team at a fast-growing startup or similar company.
- You geek out over technology and/or FinTech.
Few people have been trained for this sort of role. If you are this close to what we’ve described but aren’t sure, apply. Let’s figure out together if this is where you could shine.
Our mission is big and audacious, but we're assembling a team to take the challenge head on.
As our Manager, Product Design, you'll be joining a team that prioritizes:
- People: Our company is more than just a business. We’re a tight-knit team supporting each other on our mission to rebuild business banking. We’re really serious about mission, fit, and the people we work with. You’ll be part of a rapidly scaling team that reflects these values and keeps this place special.
- Diversity: You'll find yourself in an environment that values diversity and inclusivity. We believe that a broad array of lived experiences and backgrounds are essential for creating the best possible product and company culture.
- Leadership: You’re right in the thick of it, making critical decisions that will clear our path forward and caring for a talented team.
- Top-tier health/dental benefits: We care about the people we work with and put their health first. NorthOne is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours: We don't clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Unlimited paid time off: We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take as much time off as you need to recharge and make sure you’re working sustainably.
- The latest computer equipment: We make sure you have the best equipment so you can produce great work.
- Professional development budget: We support lifelong learners by covering the cost of classes, workshops and conferences. You'll also get access to our ever-growing library of industry-related books.
- Remote get-togethers: Bond with your teammates over shared interests at regular get-togethers. Find like-minded people who are passionate about everything from sport and music to gaming and cooking.
- One hell of an adventure!
If you recognize yourself in this job description, let's talk.
NorthOne is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or national origin.