Summary of Position:
Preparation of all documents associated with the processing and closing of escrow, conveyance of title, recording of documents, clearing of title requirements and issuance of title insurance. Interviews escrow principals to obtain pertinent facts, directs the preparation of escrow instructions, drawing of documents, issuance of title policies and the disbursement of funds, and otherwise assists escrow principals, their lenders and/or agents in the consummation of escrows involving the financing or sale of single family and small multi-family residences. Reconciles escrow instructions with commitment and/or preliminary title report. Develops and maintains business by the extensive application of basic marketing and customer service techniques.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages time, appointments, and schedule in an efficient manner.
- Effectively communicates in person and on the telephone with clients and customers. Answers customer questions and/or telephone calls concerning status of pending items in the escrow files. Takes proactive approach to providing status updates for Agents (i.e., closing status or information still required to close or title requirements that need to be addressed.)
- Obtains demands/releases to clear title.
- Draws instructions and supporting documents for signing.
- Audits and closes file when all funds and documents are received.
- Reviews commitment and/or preliminary title report to verify vesting and legal description. Compares exceptions shown in title report with buyers', sellers', and lenders' instructions for possible liens or encumbrances not authorized in escrow or lender instructions.
- Reconciles discrepancies between instructions and title report with title officer and/or principals by modifying escrow instructions or assisting principals in obtaining releases of liens and other encumbrances.
- Orders beneficiary statements or demands, fire insurance, loan interest, rents and other prorated items.
- Preparation of settlement statements showing detailed breakdown of escrow, title, loan, brokers' commissions and other changes. Requests the issuance of title policies or other evidence of title.
- Trains, supervises, guides, and assigns and reviews the work of one or more escrow technicians, assistants, secretaries and/or receptionists. Assists in training escrow officers.
- Maintains confidentiality of all proprietary information and escrow transactions.
- Understands and complies with escrow accounting procedures and Good Funds Law.
- Develops and maintain clientele by effective solicitation of business.
- Attends client and business development functions. Represents company in public, customer and community relations activities. Attends client luncheons, dinners, realty board meetings and company tours, makes speeches and presents prepared educational programs to client and other interested groups.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Three Year responsible Escrow Officer Experience
- Basic terminology and documents related to title and escrow.
- Customer service techniques.
- Organizational & Math Skills
- Business writing skills and basic English grammar and spelling
- Capable of processing standard sale, subdivision, loan only, exchange, and commercial escrows without assistance.
- Identifying, obtaining, reading detail relevant to escrow.
- Operating desktop computers and common software
- Being productive, efficient and meeting deadlines in a high volume environment
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships