Who We Are!
North American Title Insurance Company (NATIC) is a seasoned title insurance underwriter, helping title agents to achieve their individual business goals for more than 60 years. Today, the company conducts real estate settlement services in 39 states and the District of Columbia through a network of experienced, independent agents.
- Customer Obsessed – We always put our customers first.
- Solution Driven – We solve problems that other people are afraid to.
- People leaders – We grow all of our people into leaders.
- One Team – We believe inclusion and teamwork produce the best results.
- Direct with Respect – We communicate with honesty and respect to our colleagues, customers, and partners.
NATIC underwriting counsel assist in underwriting decisions pertinent to residential and commercial properties located within a specific geographic region. Current opportunities are focused in Texas, Louisiana and the Northwest. Provides advisory guidance to associates, affiliated and independent agents and customers on underwritten files. Monitors and manages high liability approvals. Develops and presents educational materials to agents and affiliates, including webinars, live presentations, written materials and training tools. Communicate with and assists customers regarding company's products and services. Assist agents and affiliates with the legal aspects of title and closing issues. Represents company in state and national land title associations, reviews, maintains and supports the General Counsel’s office in compliance with state regulations, laws, statutes and regulations, as needed. Refers to company's other Underwriting Counsel for consultation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical of those performed by associates in this job title; however, assigned duties may vary and associates may perform other related duties, and not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each associate in the job title or at a particular location.
Under general supervision:
• Underwrites commercial and residential title closings.
• Assists independent and affiliated agent title and escrow officers on extraordinary issues, questions and closing problems.
• Supports Company efforts with assigned state regulators and licensing organizations.
• Reviews and approves high liability orders within maximum approved limits.
• Provides independent and affiliated agent training and education.
• Advises and meets with independent and affiliated agents regarding title closing issues.
• Supports NATIC Claims department with curative or claims matters.
• Participates as requested by management in marketing and education efforts, including developing and making presentations to large and small groups, writing Bulletins and articles for NATIC and outside publications.
• Stays current and distributes to staff information regarding new laws and procedures.
• Involvement in title industry associations, state and local organizations.
• Advise Claims Department on title questions arising from policy claims.
• Court appearances in litigation matters for the company or insured client with supervisor approval.
• Travel on company business within state and without.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Chief Underwriting Counsel.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Juris Doctorate degree.
• Continuing legal education requirements.
• Member of Bar Association and license to practice law in primary assigned state.
• Title insurance underwriting experience and background.
• Residential and commercial real estate transactional experience.
▪ Real estate litigation experience.
• Knowledge of real state law in assigned state(s).
• Effective written and oral communication skills.
• Relevant computer skills.
• Education and presentation skills.
• Good judgment.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work well with others.
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the Regional Underwriting Counsel to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Requires driving. Finger dexterity is necessary.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.