Summary of Position:
Preparation of all documents associated with the processing and closing of escrow, conveyance of title, recording of documents, clearing of title requirements and issuance of title insurance. Interviews escrow principals to obtain pertinent facts, directs the preparation of escrow instructions, drawing of documents, issuance of title policies and the disbursement of funds, and otherwise assists escrow principals, their lenders and/or agents in the consummation of escrows involving the financing or sale of single family and small multi-family residences. Reconciles escrow instructions with commitment and/or preliminary title report. Develops and maintains business by the extensive application of basic marketing and customer service techniques.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicates and coordinates daily responsibilities with the Branch or Escrow Manager.
- Determines appropriate priorities and work flow.
- Manages time, appointments, and schedule in an efficient manner.
- Effectively communicates in person and on the telephone with clients and customers. Answers customer questions and/or telephone calls concerning status of pending items in the escrow files. Takes proactive approach to providing status updates for Agents (i.e., closing status or information still required to close or title requirements that need to be addressed.)
- Obtains demands/releases to clear title.
- Takes terms and information needed to process escrow.
- Draws instructions and supporting documents for signing.
- Signs-up customers explaining our instructions and documents.
- Audits and closes file when all funds and documents are received.
- Disburses funds.
- Writes escrow instructions consistent with the requirements of the parties and obtains their approval.
- Estimates the amount of money required to close escrow and obtains buyers' and sellers' deposits.
- Reviews commitment and/or preliminary title report to verify vesting and legal description. Compares exceptions shown in title report with buyers', sellers', and lenders' instructions for possible liens or encumbrances not authorized in escrow or lender instructions.
- Reconciles discrepancies between instructions and title report with title officer and/or principals by modifying escrow instructions or assisting principals in obtaining releases of liens and other encumbrances.
- Orders beneficiary statements or demands, fire insurance, loan interest, rents and other prorated items.
- Directs and may participate in the preparation of settlement sheets showing detailed breakdown of escrow, title, loan, brokers' commissions and other changes. Requests the issuance of title policies or other evidence of title.
- Trains, supervises, guides, and assigns and reviews the work of one or more escrow technicians, assistants, secretaries and/or receptionists. Assists in training escrow officers.
- Maintains confidentiality of all proprietary information and escrow transactions.
- Understands and complies with escrow accounting procedures.
- Understands and complies with Good Funds Law.
- Refers questionable requests from customers to management for guidance
- Develops and maintain clientele by effective solicitation of business.
- Contacts brokers, real estate agents, builders, attorneys, lenders and other customers by telephone and in person to solicit business and ascertain the individual service needs of the customer.
- Attends client and business development functions. Represents company in public, customer and community relations activities. Attends client luncheons, dinners, realty board meetings and company tours, makes speeches and presents prepared educational programs to client and other interested groups.
- Notarizes signatures as requested.
- Prepares Account Servicing Setups, if applicable.
- Knows Rate Manual and quotes accurate fees.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent skills.
- Escrow education and/or certificate helpful.
- One year responsible Escrow Officer experience (or two years general escrow experience).
- Supervisory experience helpful.
- Organizational skills.
- Math skills.
- Business writing skills.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED/PREFERRED/HELPFUL:
- Notary Public Commission helpful.
- Driver’s license helpful.
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the Escrow Officer to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary.
This is a position which requires the Escrow Officer frequent walking, standing and climbing of stairs in/around homes, models and properties. Must also have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.