Volunteer chapter advisors play a key role in the success of BBYO by working closely with teens to run strong chapter programs, develop leadership skills, and make their chapters great. This is an amazing opportunity to make an impact in the local Jewish community by empowering Jewish teens to do great things.
You love the idea of working with Jewish teens. You want to give your time in a way that will impact the community by developing teen leaders through Jewish programming, helping them navigate their high school years, and help them become adults that care about the world around them. You’re an effective relationship builder and communicator with good judgment and a “can do” attitude.
We’re a global network of passionate volunteers and professional staff that are excited to make a difference in the lives of Jewish teens. We are the Jewish community’s largest and fastest growing pluralistic platform for reaching and inspiring Jewish teens during the school-year with 700 teen-led local chapters and over 100 weekend retreats along with a plethora of summer experiences including Israel visits, global travel programs and leadership camps. We are fast-paced, high energy and results-driven.
WHAT YOU’LL DO AS A VOLUNTEER CHAPTER ADVISOR
You’ll sit in the passenger seat while teens take the wheel: you’ll challenge them, support them, help keep them focused, and connect them with resources so that they can do their best work and grow along the way.
- Provide adult supervision on the ground during chapter programs as well as Regional events and Conventions, helping to maintain a safe and inclusive environment
- Guide teens with the calendaring, vision, and execution of impactful and fun programs
- Help chapter feel a part of something larger than themselves by learning and adapting BBYO best practices, encouraging chapter to set and meet goals, and participating beyond the chapter in region and movement-wide campaigns and initiatives
- Ensure consistent communication between chapter members and parents
- Empower the teens to make decisions, develop younger teen members into leaders, and create a strong community
- Help to resolve conflicts among chapter members
- Recruit and engage teens who should participate in BBYO summer and year-round leadership experiences
Advising also comes with some great perks. You’ll:
- Develop meaningful relationships with the BBYO members, chapter parents, and community partners
- Access free professional development and training opportunities
- Connect with a network of more than 700 advisors across the globe for collaboration
- Have the opportunity to staff convention and domestic and international travel experiences
- Be part of the BBYO On Demand FAN Club, which includes special perks like product discounts, raffle giveaways, and exclusive bonus content
- Join a social community of local advisors like you -- many advisors have met their best friends (or even their beshert) through advising!
- 21 + years of age
- Staff programs on periodic nights and weekends (or help teens find a substitute when you’re unavailable)
- Transport self to and from chapter or regional events
- Support teen leaders on their projects outside of events
- Successful completion of a background check