Nitricity is a startup addressing climate change, and we are looking for your help! We are innovating in an essential chemical industry that supports global food systems. The bedrock of modern agriculture is the production, distribution, and application of the essential nutrients found in fertilizers. However, nitrogen fertilizer is currently made in coal- and gas-fired facilities located hundreds to thousands of miles away from farmers who need it. The $120B industry is responsible for as much as 6% of global CO2eq emissions. Nitricity Inc. has developed a new technology that produces fertilizer using air, water, and renewable electricity (e.g., solar). Growers will have access to a more reliable, low cost, and environmentally friendly fertilizer supply. We are actively growing our team to help us turn this vision into a reality.
The Senior Electrical Controls Engineer will be central in the electronic communication and process control of Nitricity’s subsystems for optimized and cost-competitive fertilizer production. They will leverage previous industrial experience in chemical and industrial process controls, electrical engineering, software interface development, communication between systems, and general technology development to help improve the cost, scale, safety, and efficiency of Nitricity Inc.’s fertilizer production assets. This position will involve designing, building, testing, troubleshooting, logging, and optimizing electrical controls subsystems for operation. The Senior Electrical Controls Engineer will report to Nitricity’s VP of Engineering and apply their engineering expertise to optimize Nitricity’s fertilizer production systems toward the development of an efficient and reliable commercial product.
- Develop and improve the design of controls systems for Nitricity’s fertilizer production assets.
- Lead design reviews for controls with respect to systems operations, operational efficiency, and safety.
- Improve efficiency of power electronics system for plasma production.
- Create and manage controls subsystem BOMs with version control and CAD coordination with mechanical engineers.
- Maintain data storage system for electronic controls design files, models, and BOMs.
- Coordinate with company leadership to improve and build testing platforms.
- Contribute to the design, development, and scale-up of efficient nitrogen fixation systems.
- Lead plant PLC selection.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (EE), electronics engineering, or a related field (masters preferred)
- 5 to 8 years’ industrial control experience developing capital equipment for semiconductor and/or chemical processes
- 5 to 8 years’ experience with industrial control of plasma (preferred), gas flow, chemical and thermal management technologies
- Work well in focused teams with multiple disciplines
- Experience designing control systems utilizing PLC or industrial computers
- Experience with CAD and other tools to document the overall system design (i.e., single line diagrams of control processes)
- Experience with green hydrogen and/or nitrogen fixation (preferred)
- Strong understanding of implementing safe system operations into a control system
Compensation and Benefits*:
- Medical and dental insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off
- 7 company holidays and 2 floating holidays
- Competitive salary and equity package
- 401(k) plan
- Commuter Benefits
*Benefits are subject to change over time and may require employment in CA to be eligible
Nitricity Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.