Niantic’s Legal Team is looking for a Product & Privacy Counsel to advise our teams as they develop and launch cutting-edge AR technology and mobile games that connect players with their local communities and each other. In this role you will partner with teams across the company to develop solutions for the legal, compliance and public policy challenges (and opportunities!) we encounter as we continue to develop innovative augmented reality experiences. This position will be based in Niantic’s San Francisco office.
- Partner closely with our engineering and product management teams to identify and manage legal issues and risks during all stages of product development.
- Lead legal support for social features within games and our games platform, user generated content and content moderation policies and procedures, and trust and safety initiatives across the company.
- Educate teams about global regulatory issues, with a particular focus on privacy compliance, online safety, and the protection of children online.
- Think creatively about the novel legal and policy issues arising from real-world location-based games and augmented reality products.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders, including Product, Trust & Safety, and Operations, to cultivate strong working relationships with project team members, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- 5+ years experience working in an innovative legal environment, ideally a combination of law firm and in-house experience.
- Product counseling background, including experience with issue spotting and advising across various topics, including intellectual property, trust and safety, consumer protection, and data privacy in location-based services.
- Privacy counseling experience, including familiarity with privacy regulations such as CCPA/ CPRA and GDPR. Experience with COPPA, global age appropriate design codes, and family/child consumer technology products a plus.
- Proven business judgment, and the ability to analyze the costs/benefits of proposed resolutions to legal problems.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations
- Experience working on diverse, cross-functional teams with the ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- Experience with international product development and launch issues, and mobile expertise are both a plus.
- JD with strong academic credentials.
- Member in good standing of the California Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of $194,000 - $227,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration is good for Niantic’s culture, and critical to our future success as a company. We support flexibility and know new ways of working are here to stay.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID