Niantic's Research and Development team is seeking PhD-students who are passionate about inventing new algorithms. Join us for a 3 or 4 month research internship to work on computer vision and learning, alongside our growing team of researchers in London (UK). One or two interns can be hired in the US also. The aim is to innovate and publish the work we do together, pushing the field forward. The projects you will work on fit under the broad umbrella of machine learning for augmented reality, including deep or shallow machine learning models, tracking, 3D reconstruction, localization, and graphics for mixed reality. We invite you to explore the best problems in vision with us!
- Dig deep into a fun computer vision and machine learning topic, becoming the expert and breaking new ground.
- Discover ways to automatically understand imagery and/or telemetry from the real world, to track, reconstruct, localize, synthesize, or recognize more accurately or more efficiently.
- Work alongside our other researchers, accepting help and aiding others, to make discoveries that will eventually help the Niantic Lightship Platform, as it empowers developers to make important AR experiences for millions of people.
- You are enrolled in a PhD program in computer science or a related field, with a focus on computer vision, robotics, AR, or machine learning.
- You have experience building your own software systems in Python or C++, wrangling 2D and/or 3D data, training models, and running experiments.
- You are proficient at finding, reading, and efficiently critiquing and experimentally assessing published research papers.
- You have experience writing technical papers in English for a scientific audience.
- You have had 1+ papers accepted to ICCV / NeurIPS / IROS / ISMAR / SIGGRAPH type conferences.
- You have experience building fast or efficient computer vision systems.
- You have experience designing your own architectures within a deep learning framework (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow, or similar).
- You have collected and curated your own raw data.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.