Niantic's AR Operations team spearheads large-scale and experimental data collection projects that power and improve the industry-leading AR technology in our Niantic Lightship platform. This work is foundational to achieving our vision of a real-world metaverse that inspires people to explore the world together. If you want to be part of enabling one of the greatest evolutions in computing in our lifetimes, our Operations Manager, Augmented Reality R&D, could be the role for you.
In this role you will make a critical contribution to the development of features that blend our physical and digital worlds together ever more seamlessly. Working in close consultation with our AR R&D team, you'll design and run data-related experiments and processes to help fuel novel computer vision algorithms. You will build and adapt a research-led operation that produces high-quality data on time and on budget.
- Scope out ongoing data collection and labelling needs for the development and continuous improvement of AR features.
- Design data collection pilots with sharply articulated hypotheses and objectives to enable our most experimental research.
- Establish an operational model to deliver any services required that achieves the appropriate balance of flexibility and value for money.
- Coordinate the briefing, completion and quality control of all R&D data capture and processing tasks.
- Provide training and timely, constructive feedback to vendors and other partners to support the delivery of high-quality work.
- Regularly evaluate the standard and value of all R&D data work. Make changes across people, tools or processes to deliver the highest impact improvements at pace.
- Previous experience collaborating with highly technical internal and external partners.
- Intellectually rigorous while pragmatic. You exercise critical thinking and good judgement to design elegant, not overengineered, solutions.
- Curious and consultative. You combine your appreciation of diverse opinions with a talent for productive debate to improve outcomes.
- Strong project planning and management abilities. You naturally think several steps ahead to identify and mitigate risks.
- Fast learner. You're known for your ability to get to grips with complex and unfamiliar topics independently.
- An unfailingly consistent ownership mentality. Colleagues can rely on you completely to get the job done, no matter how complex it is.
- A high-energy approach to work. You move at pace and are never a blocker.
- Clear communication style. You express yourself precisely and ensure you understand others precisely.
- Happy to own hands-on and tactical tasks as well as strategic work.
- Highly adaptable.
- Previous experience managing training data projects and/or field operations.
- Previous experience working on computer vision projects.
- Easily understand how to use custom/complex hardware.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.