Are you ready to lead leaders who develop games that bring positive impact to the world through the power of mobile and location technologies? Niantic’s engineering team and game studios are seeking a leader who will empower the technical leads and directors that are crafting a new slate of incredible experiences on our real-world geospatial platform. You will guide game technical directors through the lifecycle of prototyping, to initial development and integration, to publication by Niantic. In addition, you will empower them to collaborate as part of the leadership group within their individual game development teams and across Niantic as a whole, including working with our platform engineering team to scale development of planet-scale AR experiences. Finally, you will provide strategic advice to our executive team based on your deep experience with the technical aspects of game development within and beyond Niantic.
- Lead and grow the technical directors of our game studio projects. Either directly or in collaboration with game producer leads, you will ensure that the technical directors are meeting the organizational and technical milestones vital for the success of each game title.
- Perform engineering-focused career feedback. You will mentor technical directors on their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s with each of them, set measurable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward, and collaborate in measuring their performance.
- Provide mentorship on engineering management topics, ensuring that the technical directors onboard new hires, conduct 1:1s, provide meaningful feedback and measure performance consistent with best-in-class standards.
- Provide strategic guidance on the direction of Niantic's game projects and feedback on our platform directly to Niantic game studio and platform executives
- Directly lead selected game projects.
- Employ emotional intelligence to defuse tensions and improve cross-team relations with internal and external partners.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders, product managers, and other departments to ensure game code meets standards required for sustainable development and deployment.
- You have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field, or deep equivalent industry experience.
- You have at least 5 years of proven experience managing managers of software teams with several engineers each.
- You have served as a technical director of a launched game in the context of a large, multi-disciplinary team.
- You have experience recruiting and building up an engineering team.
- You have strong and validated interpersonal skills, particularly in the realm of collaborating with internal or external developer customers.
- You have experience leading teams delivering ongoing high-quality releases of large and complex game titles.
- You have experience with leading teams that deliver products on cloud computing, gaming or mobile products at scale.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.