Niantic’s Mapping (R&D) team is seeking a Field Operations Manager to help push the frontiers of Augmented Reality and Machine Learning. At Niantic, we’re passionate about enabling adventures on foot with others, and we need to collect images, videos and various forms of data annotations to make this possible for our players. These datasets underpin the improvement of our algorithms, which in turn improve our games.
This position will be instrumental to these efforts. You’ll be the operational counterpart to our engineers working on mapping/R&D, and it’ll be your job to figure out the most efficient ways to collect the datasets they need. You’ll build on our existing methodologies while analysing where we can enhance our approach.
For each project, you’ll partner with engineering partners to define the requirements and with legal colleagues to resolve how to achieve these. To execute, you’ll work with local councils to ensure we have the appropriate permits in place, and you’ll build and project-manage teams of data collectors. Initially you will focus on data collection in London, but over time this will expand to include global locations.
This role will require a little travel in the UK on an ad-hoc basis.
- Design each data-acquisition project by collaborating with internal teams to define expectations and feedback.
- Interview, onboard, then oversee the data-collectors and data labellers day-to-day, helping them deliver high-quality data that will help our mapping and R&D efforts.
- Define, agree and set project budget and key milestones with internal partners to ensure projects are on track. Also perform risk analysis for achieving goals.
- Learn, from our guides, how to use existing software tools and camera equipment.
- Coordinate with local councils for outdoor filming / data-collection for permit-applications. Completing risk assessments with teams, as needed, of any unsafe conditions or equipment failures.
- Optimize and improve in-house processes and tools, to continue to improve efficiency and create standard methodology for our contractors.
- Consistent track record of excellent organisational and time management skills for tasks and appointments. You will have run multiple large-scale projects, ideally in real world environments.
- Good history of being self-directed, proactive and adaptable in fast-paced environments.
- Significant experience of working with multiple individuals/organizations to achieve a goal.
- Good written and verbal communication skills for 1:1 and with teams of people.
- Experience in production, e.g. research and plan on-location shoots, travel, and risk-assessment documents, using maps and schedules, and less often, in-person location-scouting.
- Ability and willingness to learn (from in-house guides) to operate camera gear, ranging from mobile-phones to Steadicam-style rigs with multiple cameras/monitors attached
- Eagerness to collect and then act on feedback when working with contractors
- A consistent track record of taking responsibility and being diligent for all the equipment. In our case this means checking that equipment is available and working, batteries charged and gear is secured for pick-up
- Experience receiving, curating, and reporting on visual or other data.
- Experience with continuous workflow improvement: documentation, third party relationships, processes.
- Interest in learning scripting programming languages like Python.
- Beginner experience taking pictures to avoid motion blur, over-exposure, out-of-focus.
- Curious to learn how to operate gadgets, and show others how to do the same.
- Previous experience placing ads and reaching out to new recruits through email and social media.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.