Niantic is seeking an experienced, passionate Lead Game Designer to help build the next generation of games. Can you craft compelling gameplay experiences to delight players and keep them engaged? As a Designer at Niantic, you are responsible for crafting game mechanics and systems that fit the product vision. Can you keep a team focused to deliver on that vision? Teams are structured to allow everyone to be a major contributor, so you will have a significant voice in shaping the game you are helping define, build, and ship. As Lead Game Designer, you would become part of a best-in-class team creating differentiated and delightful mobile and AR games. Our creative departments and executive management have extensive experience shipping critically and commercially successful AAA+ titles across a wide range of platforms and genres, and are now bringing that experience to AR and mobile gaming.
- Head up a team of designers to bring the overall vision of the game to life.
- Communicate goal-focused designs with clear and concise documentation.
- Work with cross-functional teams of engineers, artists, and producers to define creative vision and ultimately deliver an extraordinary gameplay experience.
- Translate paper game design into playable experiences.
- Find opportunities for, and ideate on, new game systems, content, and feature improvements.
- Contribute to defining custom tools for crafting and editing game data.
- Implement designs for gameplay and systems in Unity, in collaboration with the engineering team.
- Assist Designers with any challenges they face with their design tasks.
- You have experience shipping at least two products on any platform (mobile, AR, or VR preferred; AAA titles ideal).
- You have 5 years of experience in traditional PC, console, or mobile development.
- You have led a team, with a minimum two direct reports.
- You have a college degree or minimum of 5 years applied experience.
- You have shipped a high-performing digital free-to-play game.
- You have experience with business intelligence and A/B testing.
- You have programming or scripting experience (Python, Lua, C#, or others).
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.