Do you want to be part of a growing data team with a huge impact on products used by millions of people around the world? Niantic, the developer of Ingress, Pokemon Go, and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, is searching for a Senior Data Engineer. You'll lead efforts to scale and organize the data infrastructure, working closely with Machine Learning scientists and engineers to craft a highly scalable data pipeline capable of data-enabling Niantic’s next generation of augmented reality games. You'll form the cornerstone of a flexible, driven team to build game experiences which enrich millions of lives.
- You'll design and implement elegant data models (tables, partitioning, dependencies ...) for use with Niantic's ML pipelines and analytics.
- You'll architect the technical stack for storing and processing large volumes of Niantic’s data.
- You'll craft ETL pipelines to ingest and structure data from diverse sources.
- You'll mentor and provide technical guidance to junior data engineers, with many opportunities to demonstrate leadership.
- You'll work hand-in-hand with the ML Science and ML Engineering teams to provide datasets which can be used in production ML systems.
- You have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- You have 4+ years of experience developing and deploying data pipelines.
- You've deployed large-scale data extraction pipelines which feed into ML models.
- You have extensive knowledge of large-scale data processing concepts and technologies.
- You have experience with cloud deployment of pipelines and orchestration tools (Airflow, Composer).
- You possess a deep knowledge of data storage and analysis technologies such as Hive, Presto, or Spark, and are comfortable with their trade-offs and optimizations.
- You know your way around Java or Scala, Python and SQL.
- You have knowledge of the Google data stack (Dataflow, Dataproc, BigTable, BigQuery, etc.).
- You have experience with design of data models which serve multiple applications underlying the same model (common schemas across multiple games).
- You have knowledge of ML models for classification, regression, and clustering.
- You have experience with deploying ETL pipelines on large user bases (10s of millions of users).
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. .
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.