About ngrok Inc.
ngrok is simplified, API-first ingress-as-a-service trusted by over 5M developers to get their apps online faster and keep security happy. With one line of code, developers get instant ingress to services with authentication, observability, and other critical controls. All without provisioning legacy proxies, load balancers or VPNs. ngrok’s simplicity has made it a de-facto standard tool among developers, and the world’s top brands — including GitHub, Okta, Shopify, and Twilio — recommend it throughout their documentation.
Our employees are low-ego, curious learners with a passion for developer-first tooling. As a company, we set aside an hour each fortnight for shared introspection about anxieties and excitement, both personal and professional. We’re building an inclusive, remote-first organization that sets each individual up to be their best self.
We believe the total addressable market for ngrok is in excess of $73 billion and are increasing our growth to capture that.
Are you a developer passionate about technology? Do you love to connect with and help peers? Would you like to foster and activate a rich and diverse developer community? If you said yes, yes, and heck yeah! we are looking for you :).
We are looking for a Head of Developer Relations/Community with a strong engineering and marketing background to build our DevRel program and lead a team of Developer advocates. This leader will be our ambassador, build and nurture great relationships with the developer community, and create helpful content that sticks.
What you'll accomplish
- Connecting ngrok to the developer community, making ngrok a great solution for developers
- Monitoring and helping developers where they are — our Slack community and places like Hacker News and Stack Overflow
- Partnering with Product Marketing to produce content — blogs, videos, and talks — that sticks, promote our brand, and grows a community of raving fans
- Partnering with product and engineering to bring community feedback and improve our service
- Working with several teams to improve our tools for the practitioner. Working to automate key processes and workflows with our Developer Advocates
- Proactively improve our product with ideas and code
- HIre and lead an amazing team of developer advocates
Don’t worry, you're not alone: You’ll work closely with the Product Marketing, Product Management, Support, and Engineering teams to accomplish the mission.
What success looks like
Success in this role increases the ngrok awareness and admiration in the developer community. Because of you, developers are excited about using, writing, talking about, and recommending ngrok to their peers and companies.
Success also means we can measure the success of our developer advocacy on key performance indicators including community engagement, contributions to the product, and increased product awareness and brand admiration. This role will detect, monitor, shape, and support trends within the developer community to highlight and celebrate successful teams, projects, and efforts.
- 5+ years of experience working in Developer Relations
- 2+ years leadership experience
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering role
- Experience managing developer communities
- Experience with digital marketing concepts and tooling around SEO, social media, and community management
- Expertise in modern infrastructure & DevOps solutions such as Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, Rancher, GitHub Actions, Buildkite, Pulumi
- Strong communicator and advocate for developers
- Active online presence within one more developer communities
- Strong written, verbal communication and public speaking skills
- Published technical articles, guides, tutorials, videos, or talks - please send samples
- Love for process automation and metrics to inform your decisions
- Active contributor to open source projects, standardization working groups, or tech communities
All candidates must be US-based, and legally authorized to work in the United States.
If your experience is close but doesn’t fulfill all requirements, please apply. ngrok is on a mission to build a special company. To achieve our goal, we are focused on hiring people with different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences!
Compensation for this role depends on level, but we provide a competitive mix of salary and equity.
We provide a 401(k) with a 100% match up to 3% of your salary and a 50% match up to another 2%.
We provide healthcare, dental, and vision with premiums fully covered on the base plan for employees. Half of premiums are covered for dependents.
We offer unlimited PTO and a culture in which the overwhelming majority of employees take more than four weeks. Your manager is also on the hook for encouraging you to do the same.