About ngrok Inc.
ngrok is simplified, API-first ingress-as-a-service trusted by over 5M developers to get their apps online faster and keep security happy. With one line of code, developers get instant ingress to services with authentication, observability, and other critical controls. All without provisioning legacy proxies, load balancers or VPNs. ngrok’s simplicity has made it a de-facto standard tool among developers, and the world’s top brands — including GitHub, Okta, Shopify, and Twilio — recommend it throughout their documentation.
Our employees are low-ego, curious learners with a passion for developer-first tooling. We use our engineering values steward, replenish, engineer, and be there to guide our work. As a company, we set aside an hour each fortnight for shared introspection about anxieties and excitement, both personal and professional. We’re building an inclusive, remote-first organization that sets each individual up to be their best self.
We believe the total addressable market for ngrok is in excess of $73 billion and are increasing our growth to capture that.
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Infrastructure team, you will ensure our production Kubernetes infrastructure is optimized for the ngrok product. You will work on our Go, Rust, TypeScript, and Terraform codebases to scale and continuously improve our production infrastructure.
Software engineers with experience in the SRE/DevOps space are a good fit for this role, and you will use your skills to build the software all ngrok engineers use to manage and interact with our infrastructure. We are looking explicitly for people who align more with software engineering than operations.
Your team is concerned with managing both our production infrastructure and our build and release (CI/CD) tools, although your primary focus will be our production infrastructure.
To succeed in this role, you should have a reasonably deep understanding of Kubernetes in all its good and bad parts; bonus points for the confluence of networking and Kubernetes. ngrok deploys primarily in AWS, and you should have some working knowledge of how that cloud provider operates.
What you'll accomplish
- Help us build and execute our roadmap for adding capabilities to how we manage our Kubernetes infrastructure, ideally leveraging our current platform and tools, but designing and implementing new tools as necessary
- Participate in the infrastructure on-call rotation
- Draft technical design documents for new work, and build agreement in the team and with other stakeholders about the path forward
- Provide insights and feedback to our product engineering teams on effectively running services run on Kubernetes
- Positively impact the team through your presence and contributions
- Experience building and scaling distributed systems for SaaS products (ideally networking focused)
- 10+ years experience writing quality, production software
- Operational Kubernetes expertise and understanding of the project internals
- Ability to prioritize and self-manage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; humans accomplish more together than separately, and working together means that we are able to communicate clearly using healthy and safe practices
- Bonus Points
- Previous startup experience
- Understanding of cloud infrastructure, particularly AWS
- Knowledge of the CNCF landscape
- Open source contributions
All candidates must be US-based, and legally authorized to work in the United States.
Compensation for this role depends on level, but we provide a competitive mix of salary and equity.
We provide a 401(k) with a 100% match up to 3% of your salary and a 50% match up to another 2%.
We provide healthcare, dental, and vision with premiums fully covered on the base plan for employees. You only pay the additional difference on other plans. Half of premiums are covered for dependents.
We offer unlimited PTO and a culture in which the overwhelming majority of employees take more than four weeks. Your manager is also on the hook for encouraging you to do the same.