The Sr. VR Pipeline TD is responsible for developing pipeline software tools, providing support to artists as it relates to production, and general troubleshooting of the VR pipeline in a production environment. Works with the VFX Supervisor to identify tools that ensure artists are working as efficiently as possible.
- Develop pipeline and asset management tools that ensure artists and production staff are working and communicating in an efficient manner. This includes the setup of a full render farm pipe, render submission tools, and custom, targeted tools that allow artists to overcome problems and rote repeatable tasks.
- Provide production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving.
- Collaborate effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff to solve production emergencies.
- Identify day-to-day priorities for projects in production and act autonomously to complete them.
- Work primarily on tools of a high degree of complexity, requiring broad understanding of the larger pipeline.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of software and systems; contribute to evolving standards and conventions used in production.
- Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Proficiency in Windows
- Advanced Python scripting required
- Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Arnold or similar
- Thorough experience with VR pipelines, VR softwares, and VR hardwares.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
- Thorough understanding of the entire visual effects and VR process, including stereoscopic workflows.
- Experience with advanced video compression techniques
- Experience with real-time render platforms (UE4, Unity)
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Experience with production database systems
- Experience with C, C++
- Experience with Unreal, Unity and other VR platforms
- Experience with json, lua, mel, maxscript, and command line protocols (BASH, tcsh, etc) a plus
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
- At least 5 years production experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television.
- 2+ years of experience working in VR, including real-time and pre-rendered CG VR experiences