Locations: New York (preferred), Chicago
Note: Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful or relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Want to work at the intersection of impact and business? Looking for a team with big ideas and bold ambitions? Interested in accelerating your career, and getting further faster by working at a scalable small business?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm creating a better future for small business. We have audacious goals and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the drivers of economic and community development and the engines of inclusive growth. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street mobilizes capital, customers, and capabilities to small businesses and entrepreneurs that have been systemically held back. We work with foundations, government, corporations, and CDFIs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We equip our clients with strategies and tools to advance small businesses and deliver a more inclusive US economy.
We are an anti-racist and anti-bias institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
The Associate, Operations & Special Projects will play a critical role in enabling the execution of Next Street’s strategy and helping the firm scale. Next Street has bold ambitions to continue its rapid growth and is looking for a mission-driven, Associate of Operations to lead us into our next phase of growth. This role is a fantastic opportunity for those looking for firsthand experience in scaling and managing a business. This role will give firmwide and leadership exposure, the opportunity to evaluate and implement the systems needed to enable our growth, as well as the opportunity to lead special projects that will have major impact on the company and its employees.
You will have significant responsibility from day one for a dynamic portfolio including Operations and Special Projects. This role will partner closely with the Director of Finance & Administration, as well as other members of the Management Team, to execute their priorities.
Join us and you will get unparalleled management training, while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Your work will consist of:
- Partner across members of the Corporate and delivery teams to learn, manage, and improve Next Street’s overall suite of systems and tools, including:
- Assessing and documenting current systems and tools (e.g. Salesforce, PowerBI, Zoom, Slack, Clockify, Skedda, etc.);establishing and writing standard operating procedures and supporting the training of staff on utilization of effective tools and recommending retiring / replacing those that are non-functional
- Ongoing maintenance, and continuous improvement efforts of existing systems and tools, as well as overseeing and enforcing use policies and controls with an emphasis on improving data
- Researching technology solutions and identifying new or creative ways to streamline aspects of the firm’s internal operations. Leading day-to-day project management and coordination for system upgrades or changes
- Work with Corporate and firm leadership on the ongoing development and production of reporting / analytics solutions, with the goals of:
- Driving real-time knowledge and decision-making
- Streamlining existing reporting tools in use
- Strategically automating dashboards and increasing functionalities
- Ownership of Information Technology (IT) function with oversight from Management
- Manage relationship with outsourced IT managed service provider
- Primary staff point of contact for service
- Hardware / software purchasing and management
- Oversight of firmwide IT and data security and IT incident response
- Responsibility for physical infrastructure across NYC and Chicago offices and support for Small Business Solution Centers, including the management of leases, tools to manage use of space, procurement, and management of supplies
- Ownership of other specific functional areas with oversight from Management, as necessary
Special Projects (~33%)
- Conceptualization, prioritization, and execution of special projects identified by the Management Team to support the firm’s growth
- Recently executed special projects include development of a hybrid work structure model, performance management refresh, and IT security improvements
- Special projects that are being considered for the near future include developing a knowledge management system, data systems integration, office space moves, streamlining and improving policy documentation, and enhancing Corporate self-service amongst staff
- You have 2-4 years of experience
- You have strong knowledge of Salesforce, Excel, and data visualization software
- You have strong project planning, management, and communication skills with the ability to keep narrow and broad groups involved and up to speed on execution
- You are a maximizer and love thinking “how can we do this better?”
- You see opportunity around every corner
- You think critically to challenge the status quo
- You enjoy flexing between functions and pride yourself on being a generalist
- You have a generalist toolkit, including data analysis, content development and some knowledge of systems
- You want to build your management capabilities and get firsthand experience in a high-growth business
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are looking for opportunities to grow and accelerate your career
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year plus standard federal holidays.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or business or graduate school. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events and office snacks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office. We also make sure that you have the fuel you need to perform your best every day.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.