Note: Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful and relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Next Street’s mission is to help every small business realize their potential. We do that by designing and developing solutions to connect entrepreneurs and small business owners with the right resources at the right time.
We are focused on businesses facing disproportionate barriers. We are committed to becoming an anti- racist organization, have a nearly 20 year track record, and an extensive network of small business advocates, operators, and investors. We accelerate the impact of institutions and advisors on small businesses and provide millions of business owners with the experts, tools, and capital they need to thrive. We know when small businesses thrive, their neighborhoods, cities and our economy do, too.
Additionally, inclusivity is part of our DNA. We are happy to celebrate that with 80% of our team identifying as women and/or people of color, we’re well on our way. Learn more here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
Next Street is a special place to work and our values are infused into every aspect of our work:
- We work to challenge systems of injustice through our anti-racist ways of working
- We bring our whole selves to work and strive to create authentic joy everyday
- We utilize creativity and curiosity to put bias towards action in our work
- We are interwoven and empower each other through collaboration and established trust
- We encourage entrepreneurship and always put small business first, both internally and externally
- We grow sustainably and encourage learning through career and professional development
Join us and live out our values every day, while leveling-up your career and helping us to have a transformative impact on the society in which we live.
Why this role?
Next Street is looking for a leader to further the technology vision and strategy for a high-growth company with a big mission and zero technical debt. The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will be tasked with overseeing the development of a multi-tenant B2B web application, Next Street SCALE, which enables access to resources that help small businesses grow. You will play a critical role executing Next Street’s strategic priorities, as you will use technology and data to supercharge our current and future products, including Next Street SCALE, Learning and Community (learn more here). You will also be a leader of Next Street and have significant opportunity to help shape and drive Next Street’s current phase of growth.
This is an unparalleled opportunity to lead and execute the firm’s technology strategy, making decisions on its tech stack, development methodologies, build, buy, or partner approach, and talent, while advancing a mission, leading a team, and helping shape the firm’s growth.
Your work will consist of…
Technology Strategy + Development (80%)
- Oversee the vendor-led development of a multi-tenant B2B web application, Next Street SCALE, that aggregates and streamlines access to resources that help small businesses grow
- Develop and evolve the system architecture of Next Street SCALE, and work alongside a Chief Data Officer to build data infrastructure
- Develop an organizational strategy for creating new technology, data, and product functions, working closely with the Co-CEO and head of Product, including developing an organizational chart and budget, identifying the right mix of vendors and SaaS products and the correct balance of in-house vs. outsourced resources, and defining and rolling out agile processes
- Develop data and implementation strategies for a set of 3rd party integrations for Next Street SCALE
- Set software engineering standards for vendor teams on data modeling, code, and release management processes
- Develop processes for bringing a new software products o production, including monitoring, alarming, bug management, and connecting with existing internal go-to-market processes
- Manage and adapt cyber security, data, and privacy policies for the organization
- Oversee organizational IT and infrastructure strategy
Firm + Practice Management (20%)
- Partner with the Co-CEO and other Engine leaders on product strategy and business development opportunities
- Collaborate and codesign a vision for how Next Street programs and offerings can become tech and data enabled with the leadership team
- Create user-centric culture to ensure technology is developed and refined with the user at the center
- Oversee technology partner, contract resources and potentially small pool of full-time resources
- Manage team resource use and development, including budgeting, training, hiring, and resourcing decisions
- You have 12+ years of experience working in software and/or product roles at large companies and startups
- Are ready for a leadership opportunity, after demonstrating ability to be hands on in a software role
- Committed to antiracism, and can lead a firm through tech and data choices that affect how small business communities can get equitable access to resources
- Excited to make big choices that set the tech and data strategy for a high-growth firm long term
- Excited to craft and execute a vision of what mission-aligned technology, product, and data can be
- You have a software engineering background
- You have experience leading internal and external development teams
What we offer:
- We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Benefits Package – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits packages (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to ensure you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year, inclusive federal holidays, volunteer days and more!
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Flexibility – It is important that you work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences. This includes a low travel mode during non-pandemic times.
- Social events and perks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan events throughout the year and provide office snacks so you can perform your best every day and more!
Next Street believes in an equitable and transparent compensation approach. The starting salary range for Executive positions across the firm is $210,000 - $226,667 regardless of location and commensurate with experience. You will also be eligible to participate in Next Street’s discretionary incentive program annually. For new hires, Next Street targets the start of the salary band, although considerations could be made based on job knowledge, skills, and experience. As part of our Antiracism commitment, Next Street uses a pay scale approach and transparent methodology to advance staff within a compensation band based on performance. Next Street does not negotiate compensation offers, as research shows that salary negotiations disadvantage People of Color and women.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.