Deputy National States Directors will manage the day-to-day operations of up to 6 state programs and will own the execution of the national organizing program in those states. They will work closely with departments including Communications, Operations, Digital Organizing, and Data to ensure the national and in-state programs are coordinated and aligned. The two Deputy National State Directors will report to the National States Director. Preference for the position to be based in San Francisco, but possibility to be remote.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
Each DNSD will:
- Manage 5-6 state directors day-to-day, including traveling to work hands-on with state staff. This includes providing hands-on support to develop and execute a 2020 primary plan and voter registration programs across our states.
- Act as a “pod leader” by coordinating communications, digital, operations, data, and other relevant departments with state teams.
- Help to write a full 2020 national program through Election Day.
- Help craft weekly, monthly, and quarterly goals for state field programs, including voter registration, canvass programs, and campus team-building metrics.
- Be responsible for reporting progress to the National States Director, including management of daily progress to goal and accomplishments. Support states’ development of in-state best practices for systems and processes to run strong field programs.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive training curriculum for in-state staff at all levels, including both virtual and in-person trainings.
- Creates a culture of learning and growth (communicating important information to teams on a daily, weekly and as needed basis through huddles, "pod" meetings, and other forms of communication).
- Act as a coach for state leadership in field and program management.
- Act as a project manager for Camp NextGen 2020.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 4+ years of field organizing and managing field staff, with at least 2 cycles managing field staff and/or senior state staff.
- Very well organized; excellent written, verbal and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and outside organizations and be able to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work
- Experience organizing in communities of color and prior training in anti-oppression, equity and inclusion organizing
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to foster a cooperative, team-oriented work environment
- Experience working with VAN or Votebuilder is required. Extensive experience with Google Drive and Google Sheets is strongly recommended. EveryAction experience a plus
- Experience with both issue and electoral organizing
- Experience working on youth organizing programs
- Familiarity with online organizing tactics, including peer-to-peer text messaging and social media organizing.
NextGen America offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a very comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality. NextGen America is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.