New Tech Network (NTN), a national non-profit organization, is a leading design partner for comprehensive school change. We serve to accelerate transformation in public schools, disrupt educational inequities, and support educators to create deep, meaningful, and affirming learning environments for all students. Through a proven school model, a project-based learning platform, and powerful professional development, we coach schools toward lasting change and ongoing improvement. New Tech Network aims to create an organization that reflects the communities we serve and a culture where everyone feels valued, heard, and included. NTN commits to intentionally work to disrupt inequities, both internally and across the network (NTN’s Equity Beliefs and Commitments). We strive to build and sustain a diverse, multicultural, equitable community internally and with our external partners
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Schools Officer (CSO) will work to develop, lead, and implement organizational strategic initiatives and oversee department professional development and the delivery of coaching, training, and consulting services to schools implementing and sustaining the NT model across the nation. The CSO leads a team of approximately 15 school coaches, supporting our network of schools in implementing the NTN model of teaching and assessment practices. NTN’s CSO promotes continual learning and growth of high quality teaching, project-based learning, and meaningful assessment. As a member of the NTN Leadership Team, the CSO will be responsible for driving change and leading programmatic goals and projects across the organization. The CSO brings both strategic depth and hands-on support for service delivery, coaching teams, and other stakeholders.
LOCATION: Remote, with ability to travel up to 50% (Travel paused due to COVID-19)
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Leadership and Organizational Culture (40%)
- In coordination with the CEO and Leadership Team, serve as a key leader in the overall development, strategic planning, and service delivery to achieve our purpose of accelerating transformation in public schools.
- Partner closely with the Leadership Team to foster a strong organizational culture that values diversity in all forms and where everyone feels valued, heard, and a sense of belonging.
- Provide thought partnership internally and externally and support an evolving programmatic vision aligned with the organization’s strategy and and commitments to intentionally foster equitable and inclusive learning environments.
- Lead the development of systems and processes to monitor and assess school progress, driven by and aligned with tools such as the NTN Spectrum of School Development (SSD).
- Support the organization’s capacity for effective cross-team collaboration between the Growth; Innovation, Learning, and Research (ILR); Finance/Ops; and People, Culture, and Equity (PCE) departments.
- Contribute to the annual budgeting process, managing teams effectively within this budget, and reporting accurately on progress and challenges.
Department Leadership and Talent Development (30%)
- Guide the design and development of the systems that monitor, track, and allow NTN to quickly respond to evolving service delivery needs
- Align the School Development Coaching teams to impact and brand strategy, fostering innovative approaches to deepen and sustain programmatic outcomes.
- Frequently and effectively communicate NTN’s strategy and goals, while reinforcing norms and systems for organizational and team communications
- Develop and inspire diverse teams to think and act in innovative, effective ways while maintaining alignment to NTN’s mission, vision, values, and overarching people strategy.
- Foster a culture of learning while facilitating opportunities for staff development, growth and collegiality.
- Serve as a mentor to direct reports and provide performance-related feedback.
External Relationship Development and Thought Leadership (30%)
- Support efforts to foster advocacy, problem solving and network best practices among NTN member schools.
- Cultivate and manage new and existing relationships with district and school officials.
- Publicly represent NTN with external constituency groups, including schools, districts, community, government, and private organizations to advance initiatives and partnerships
- Build and sustain interest around NTN’s mission, brand, theory of social impact, and model outcomes
- Contribute to NTN’s broader thought leadership by authoring articles, blog posts, research, and other forms of external communications to convey the value of NTN’s models, practices, value proposition, and equity beliefs and commitment.
- Minimum BS/BA degree with at least 10 years of experience and a track record of senior program design and management.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with deeper learning, adult learning and development, Project Based Learning (PBL), equity pedagogy, innovative school models, and school transformation.
- Comprehensive understanding of education systems, including local, state and national policies and demonstrated ability to translate that knowledge into program development and transformation projects.
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of leadership and work
- Balanced approach towards organizational management with the ability to shift seamlessly between strategy and execution level work.
- Demonstrated ability to coach staff and develop high-performance teams
- Strong process and data-driven orientation with the ability to prioritize and communicate using quantitative evidence.
- Balance between visionary and details necessary to execute
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills and strong cultural awareness.
- Experience communicating, working, and building strong relationships with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds and communities
- Track record of effectively leading a direct service organization with a complex array of offerings.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
CONTACT WITH OTHERS
Must be able to collaborate effectively with others on a regular basis. Those people include, but are not limited to, employees of all levels within the organization, community, district leaders and teachers, and members of other organizations, customers, vendors and visitors.
This position has access to sensitive and confidential information, and is trusted to maintain this information, files and documents properly. These documents include, but are not limited to, financial information, grant information, client proprietary information and other business related material. Failure to safeguard this information could result in loss of trust and reputation internally and externally.
Low physical effort required to sit, stand at files, bend, stoop, lift, and walk. Maximum unassisted lift = 35lbs. Requires ability to use a keyboard, monitor and calculator. Also requires the ability to communicate verbally, both in person and on the telephone.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A competitive total rewards package.
- A highly collaborative and creative, yet autonomous work environment.
- Comprehensive benefits, including Medical, Dental, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Short and Long Term Disability, Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D), Employee Assistance Program, Supplemental Life Insurance, Supplemental Accident & Critical Illness plans and 401(k) Retirement Plan.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) STATEMENT
New Tech Network is an equal opportunity employer. We are an anti-racist organization- absolutely and unequivocally committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.