New Tech Network (NTN), a national non-profit organization, is a leading design partner for comprehensive school change. We work closely with districts and schools to create innovative learning environments. Through a proven school model, a project-based learning platform, and powerful professional development, we coach schools toward lasting change and ongoing improvement. New Tech Network aims to create an organization that reflects the communities we serve and a culture where everyone feels valued, heard, and included. NTN commits to intentionally work to disrupt inequities, both internally and across the network (NTN’s Equity Beliefs and Commitments).
The Assistant Controller will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This position requires experience in all aspects of financial management, including non-profit, and corporate accounting, including previous experience with multi-element revenue recognition, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures.
We strive to build and sustain a diverse team and strongly encourage applications from candidates of color and from any minoritized or marginalized groups.
LOCATION: Remote (candidates located in Napa, CA or the San Francisco Bay Area are highly preferred).
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer, Finance and Operations Team
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist CFO with management of all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, and GL
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage the full accounting cycle process, timely month end closing, financial statement preparation and internal reporting package and variance analysis.
- Coordinate and assist the CFO with the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and assist budget managers with budgeting and the budgeting process
- Work with the company Finance/Operations team to create business processes and accounting policies that maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Collaborate with the IT team to maintain financial records and system processes
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting and identify solutions to discrepancies in financial records
- Coordinate and assist with the preparation of periodic and annual reporting requirements for Grants, including annual and periodic program review audits
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance and CFO as needed
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal payroll tax reporting requirements and coordinate with external CPA’s for federal and state income tax filings
- Support year end close process and coordinate with external auditors for annual audit
- Additional assistant controller duties as necessary
- 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
- Possess a professional certification such as a CPA or CMA (Highly preferred)
- Expert knowledge of accounting and financial principles, regulations and best practices
- Proficient in a variety accounting software administration – Netsuite experience a plus
- Proficient with data analysis, critical thinking and problem solving
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent understanding of governmental guidelines, and payroll tax laws that affect the company
- Experience with non-profit and/or K-12 education preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
While this job description covers the main responsibilities of the job, it is not intended to cover every aspect of the job, and other responsibilities may be assigned.
This position has access to sensitive and confidential information, and is trusted to maintain this information, files and documents properly. These documents include, but are not limited to, financial information, grant information, client proprietary information and other business related material. Failure to safeguard this information could result in loss of trust and reputation internally and externally.
Low physical effort required to sit, stand at files, bend, stoop, lift, and walk. Maximum unassisted lift = 35lbs. Requires ability to use a keyboard, monitor, and calculator. Also requires the ability to communicate verbally, both in person and on the telephone.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A competitive total rewards package.
- A highly collaborative and creative, yet autonomous work environment.
- Comprehensive benefits, including Medical, Dental, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Short and Long Term Disability, Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D), Employee Assistance Program, Supplemental Life Insurance, Supplemental Accident & Critical Illness plans and 401(k) Retirement Plan.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) STATEMENT
New Tech Network is an equal opportunity employer. We are an anti-racist organization- absolutely and unequivocally committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.