NewStore is the essential omnichannel store solution for global brands. The company delivers Omnichannel-as-a-Service with the first platform combining POS, order management, clienteling, and inventory. Store operations from endless aisle to mobile checkout to fulfillment are possible with just two remarkably intuitive iPhone apps. NewStore customers include brands such as Burton Snowboards, Decathlon, GANNI, Goorin Bros, Outdoor Voices, and UNTUCKit. It is backed by General Catalyst, Activant Capital, and Salesforce Ventures. Learn more at www.newstore.com.
About the Position
As a Tech Writer at NewStore, you get to work on a quickly evolving set of products in a multicultural company. You are responsible for supporting multiple development teams and ensure the documentation is updated according to the features they release.
The documentation has several facets such as API docs, integration guides, tutorials, and end-user docs. The docs are also translated into several languages. As an experienced Tech Writer, you know how to manage the growing complexity of evolving documentation and each of your updates makes the documentation more useful and maintainable.
The documentation at NewStore is based on collaboration with the engineering and product teams. You will be encouraged to set up interactive sessions with the teams to invite contributions of ideas to improve the docs, and enhance the information architecture. You will be responsible for shaping the documentation culture at NewStore, driving towards a documentation-first approach with the engineering teams.
We follow the docs-as-code philosophy, which allows you to deliver documentation faster and learn new technical skills. Your inputs about how to make the tooling more efficient is always welcome.
We expect you as a tech writer to be the first end-user of the API or product enhancement you just finished documenting. This may include verifying that the API returns the expected response, or a specified UX workflow delivers the expected outcome.
Working from our Berlin office, you will be part of a larger UX team, which includes product designers and tech writers. You will report to the Head of Product Design, and interact daily with internal and external engineers, professional services, support team members, fellow tech writers, and product designers, distributed over multiple locations and time zones.
You are a great candidate if you have:
- Spent 5 years (or more) writing technical end-user and product documentation
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- A track record of documentation for at least one complex enterprise product
- Prior experience in documenting APIs, ideally REST APIs
- Experience in writing documentation targeting engineers and technical support staff
- Ability to learn and apply new technical skills and concepts quickly
- Dedication to providing on-time delivery of project deliverables
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
You may be the perfect candidate if some of these apply to you:
- Experience in Retail, ERP, or logistics
- Experience with structured writing / DITA and content reuse
- Experience in writing documentation inside of raw specification files, for example Open API Specs or RAML
- Experience in writing documentation in a plain text language, ideally reStructuredText
- Experience in using static website generators
- Experience in using GitLab and/or GitHub
- Experience with in-app documentation or product walkthrough platforms
- Previous experience working in an agile software development or training environment
- Some basic programming skills
Everyone is welcome here 🤗
At NewStore, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We know that diverse teams make better teams. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
Questions? We'd love to hear from you!