About the Job
You will provide leadership across Engineering and help shape the engineering vision jointly with other architects. You will lead and participate in architecture discussions and design reviews with other architects and engineers. To ensure coherence of the overall platform, you will help develop and adapt enabling constraints for new software designs, such as development guidelines or a set of architectural patterns to follow.
Through cooperation with the Product team you ensure that the overall architecture and technical roadmap are aligned with product vision and strategy.
Platform architecture and setup of the engineering organization influence each other (Conway’s Law). You will work with other stakeholders on organizational change activities to ensure that their possible impact on the platform is taken into account.
All this work can only be effective when communicated to the right stakeholders, therefore documentation and evangelization around these topics is an important part of your work.
You own your development environment, including choice of Mac or Linux.
- Coach, guide and mentor teams on software design, architecture, and technology choices
- Contribute to architectural roadmap, architectural blueprints, and development guidelines
- Collaborate with the other architects and senior engineers on identifying, managing and reducing tech debt in the platform
- Consult with the Product team on product roadmap and feature planning
- Support the personal growth of individual engineers by mentoring, teaching, and pairing
- Share architecture knowledge, learnings and best practices with the teams and other architects
- Proven ability to turn functional and non-functional requirements into high-quality software design
- You know how to create architectural models, and how to present them to different target groups, including management level
- Solid understanding of design, implementation and operation of scalable systems with RESTful APIs
- Experience in agile processes, including TDD and CI/CD
- Strong software engineering background in distributed systems, SQL and no-SQL databases, modularization, and API design
- Strong communication skills, ideally also in distributed development teams
- Ability to lead by influence and competence, even in conflict situations
Special Things we would like to see
- Experience in architectural work on Web and/or mobile applications
- Application of Domain-Driven Design, especially on a strategic level (context models)
- Experience with highly-distributed, event-driven systems
- Experience with microservice architectures and container-based deployment
- Familiarity with AWS
- Knowledge of the Retail or eCommerce domain
- Agile/Scrum in distributed organizations
NewStore transforms brick and mortar shopping into app-powered, digitally connected retail experiences. Purpose built for the most demanding consumers, NewStore is the first to provide Omnichannel-as-a Service, integrating a cloud-based order management system and Mobile POS. With intuitive apps on the front-end for store employees and pre-built e-commerce connectors, retailers can easily offer Endless Aisle, Mobile Checkout, Omni-Fulfillment, and Clienteling. NewStore was founded by Stephan Schambach, who revolutionized e-commerce by putting it in the cloud with DemandWare (now Salesforce Commerce Cloud). The company is located in Boston, New York, and Berlin. Learn more at www.newstore.com.