Our Copy Editors & Proofreaders bring a wide variety of experience to the table, but they are all united by their passion for improving the lives of teachers and students and their commitment to developing engaging, student-centered, and culturally responsive resources. To achieve this, Copy Editors & Proofreaders are responsible for:
- Proofing and editing Newsela content, including production of daily news articles and “evergreen” content library
- Ensuring correctness and accuracy, and that all content produced adheres to Newsela’s style and quality guidelines
Who you are:
- You have 5+ years of copy editing & proofreading experience with printed/written media company (i.e., newspaper newsroom experience)
- You have experience writing for textbooks, magazines or websites, with deep understanding of editing and style guide utilization
- You're based on the West Coast or work PST hours to support regional breaking news
- You're able to work well under deadline pressure with speed and accuracy
- You have the ability to read closely, ensuring style, spelling, grammatical, and factual accuracy
- You're able to creatively play with words when writing
- Additional background knowledge of ELA, Social Studies, Science and History disciplines is of particular value
This role is compensated on a per-task basis. The benefits listed below apply to full-time employees only.
Newsela takes authentic, real world content from trusted sources and makes it instruction ready for K-12 classrooms. Each text is published at five reading levels, so content is accessible to every learner. Today, over 3.3 million teachers and 40 million students have registered with Newsela for content that's personalized to student interests, accessible to everyone, aligned to instructional standards, and attached to activities and reporting that hold teachers accountable for instruction and students accountable for their work. With over 15,000 texts on our platform and multiple new texts published every day across 20+ genres, Newsela enables educators to go deep on any subject they choose.
Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
- Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul.
- Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
- Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself.
- Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
- Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes.
- Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, and individual development plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
- Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers.