The Lead Site Reliability Engineer will be responsible for creation, maintenance, and ongoing monitoring of key parts of Newsela's infrastructure stack. You will be writing code primarily in Terraform and Python to build out a sustainable and reliable platform for our suite of applications and services. Additionally, you will contribute to the discovery, experimentation, and selection of critical parts of our software development lifecycle, from continuous integration to release management and instrumentation. You will work with other members of the Site Reliability and Engineering teams to ensure that the code and infrastructure created are well documented and easy to understand by developers of all skill levels. Reporting to the Vice President of SRE and Data Systems, you will partner closely with our application development teams to ensure that the code that they write is easily deployable to a highly available and performant environment, both in the course of active development and within production environments.
Why you’ll love this role:
- As a member of our growing site reliability team, you will have the opportunity to impact the student and teacher experience by ensuring our applications are highly available and incredibly performant
- You will also gain exposure to a wide scope of technologies, from container orchestration and data pipelines to observability platforms and release management tooling
- You’ll have the opportunity to make substantial decisions about the direction of Newsela's infrastructure as code platforms
- You will have the responsibility and opportunity to manage and optimize the cost effective SRE deliveries, and lead and mentor a talented team of Site Reliability Engineers
- You will have a direct impact on overall application uptime and quality, which will ultimately scale Newsela’s ability to bring engaging, culturally responsive learning content to K-12 classrooms nationwide
Why you’re a great fit:
- You have 7+ years of experience in a site reliability engineering, devops, or platform engineering roles in a cloud environment using AWS, additional experience with GCP is a plus
- You have strong experience in building infrastructure solutions using Terraform
- You are very comfortable in using Python language and bash scripting for building tools and platform engineering solutions
- You have experience with Database Operations using Postgres and/or MySQL
- You have strong experience in building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines using tools like Drone, CircleCI, etc, alongside experience working with containers (Docker, Kubernetes), and networking (TCP/IP, VPCs, DNS)
- You’re comfortable working with observability solutions including logging, monitoring, and alerting using tools like AWS Cloudwatch, Datadog, Sentry, Loggly, or similar tools
- You have demonstrated success in managing and extending cloud platforms, and you have a good understanding of cloud data security standards, OAuth, JWT, etc.
- You are able to leverage your experience in cloud infrastructure management to effectively build reliable, performant, and easy to use platforms to host and observe our suite of applications
Base compensation range: $125,000 - $175,000. Total compensation for this role also includes incentive stock options and benefits. This compensation range may be adjusted based on actual experience.
Newsela takes authentic, real world content from trusted sources and makes it instruction ready for K-12 classrooms. Each text is published at five reading levels, so content is accessible to every learner. Today, over 3.3 million teachers and 40 million students have registered with Newsela for content that's personalized to student interests, accessible to everyone, aligned to instructional standards, and attached to activities and reporting that hold teachers accountable for instruction and students accountable for their work. With over 15,000 texts on our platform and multiple new texts published every day across 20+ genres, Newsela enables educators to go deep on any subject they choose.
Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
- Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul.
- Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
- Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself.
- Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
- Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes.
- Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, and individual development plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
- Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers.