Manager, IT Operations
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department
IT Operations is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of our global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at our, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the role
The IT Manager role will ensure the provision of superior customer service throughout the business, through the maintenance, enhancement, and efficient operation of IT functions. Additionally, the role will include responsibility for ensuring the security and integrity of IT operations and systems, as well as the line management of IT officers and associates.
The flexibility to work outside normal business hours is integral to this role, as is the ability to work under broad direction and minimal supervision.
What will you do
- Provide first point of IT Support contact for all local NewGlobe staff, covering all hardware, software, and associated peripherals
- Deploy computers, school technology, and associated peripherals including new installations and redeployment of existing equipment
- Install and configure operating systems and software to agreed standards under the direction of the Director of IT and other senior IT personnel
- Manage the local area network and internet connection
- Recommend, source, install, and maintain network equipment such as firewalls, routers, and switches
- Maintain existing equipment to standards, by performing upgrades, new installations, and carrying out routine procedures
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of an accurate inventory of hardware and software, and ensure that records are kept up-to-date within the service desk system
- Ensure network security through installation of appropriate hardware and software, as well development of IT policies
- Troubleshoot technical issues to resolution and/or escalate to colleagues, suppliers, or partner organizations as required
- Log all incidents and service requests in NewGlobe’s designated service desk system
- Manage service desk tickets, planning and prioritizing systematically to minimize backlog and ensure operational efficiency
- Expedite the repair of hardware faults and software configuration problems, notifying or forwarding to the relevant suppliers in a timely manner
- Work with colleagues to monitor performance of NewGlobe systems, ensuring that issues are appropriately escalated and resolved
- Supervise, train, and mentor junior staff members in all of the above
- Provide technical assistance to project teams and undertake technical project roles when required.
- Manage IT infrastructure improvement projects, including scheduling and budgeting
- Demonstrate commitment to and promotion of a culture of service excellence and continual improvement within the IT Department
- Maintain and develop excellent working relationships with key suppliers, conducting dealings in a professional and appropriate manner
- Provide at all times a professional, courteous, and rapid response to individual users
What you should have
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC hardware
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards
- Software and hardware troubleshooting
- Windows desktop (7/8/X) and Windows Server (at least 2012) experience
- Routers, switches, and firewall experience
- Microsoft Office support
- Active Directory administration
- Experience working and training on a variety of IT subjects and applications
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Good research skills, including ability to identify and propose solutions to issues/crisis
- Knowledge of Android technologies, smartphones, LAN and Wifi configurations
- Experience with admin of Microsoft systems such as Navision, IIS, or Sharepoint.
- Experience with AWS.
- A Degree from a recognized university with top marks in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- 5-10 years relevant IT/industry work experience
- Experience working within a fast-paced environment
- Relevant Microsoft certification
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.