With over 2 million developers worldwide, Netlify is leading the transition to modern Jamstack-based web development. By uniting the ecosystem of developer tools and technologies, Netlify makes it easier than ever to build, deploy, and scale web applications
We are excited to announce our most recent Series D fundraise of $105M led by Bessemer Venture Partners, with participation from our existing investors Andreessen Horowitz, BOND, EQT Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Mango Capital and Menlo Ventures with an overall $2B valuation.
Though our team is growing fast, we’ve managed to stay tight-knit while welcoming newcomers to the fold. We hail from around the globe with diverse backgrounds, we’re ~40% woman or non-binary, and are composed of 29 different nationalities.
We aim to create a company culture of empowerment where the best idea can come from anywhere, as we believe that empowered and engaged team members do the best work. We strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement—not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company.
About the team:
The mission of Developer Experience at Netlify is to ensure end-to-end quality for our customers. This includes, but is not limited to: making sure our product, messaging, open source repos, and integrations are world-class.
We're expanding Developer Experience to include a Templates Team, and we want you to come join us! If you're looking to be part of a fun, inclusive, silly, extremely productive team, this is the role for you.
If you join us, you'll be building and maintaining starter templates and reference implementations to help other developers get started with the Netlify platform and various frameworks across the developer ecosystem. Our team is full of excellent dogfooders: we work with the product and teach people how to use it, and use that first-hand experience to ensure a great developer experience. You'll be a critical part of making sure our open source work and demos are high quality and up-to-date!
Skills you'll need for this role:
- You enjoy helping other engineers (internal and external) to grow.
- You can adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. The community evolves fast, and we have to adapt our plans to keep up.
- You love improving codebases for readability, not just for more efficient code. The templates you'll work on are not only starting points, but reference implementations that will help other developers learn.
- You keep up with the web developer ecosystem. Staying up on trends and new developments is critical for keeping our templates relevant and updated.
- You know how to use GitHub for issue management and community discussion. Our templates will live in GitHub repos, so the majority of your work will happen inside GitHub issues and discussions.
- You are great at listening to feedback, turning it into actions, and presenting action plans to stakeholders.
- You have strong written communication skills. Netlify is a remote company, so the ability to parse written communication and write concise, compelling messages is critical.
As a Template Engineer at Netlify, you will:
- Maintain a set of high quality templates that enable developers to get up and running on Netlify quickly.
- Work on Netlify tooling and ecosystem templates and reference implementations built with React, Vue, Angular, and other frameworks.
- Port templates to multiple frameworks (e.g. port a Next.js template to Nuxt, Astro, etc.)
- Adapt templates to work with various ecosystem partners (e.g. a blog template powered by Contentful, Sanity, etc., or an e-commerce template powered by Shopify, Stripe, etc.).
- Create new templates to support the growing needs of the Jamstack ecosystem.
- Keep a keen eye on developer experience at Netlify and improving experiences via open source examples.
- Support others in their work via code review, feedback, and generally being an excellent teammate.
- Being integrated with the community and learn their needs through resources like Discord, the open source repos for each template, collaborating with research projects, and other community outlets.
- Create content like blog posts, tutorials, videos, etc. to show developers how to use the templates.
Technologies you'll work with:
- You do not need experience in all of these, but you'll end up working with popular frameworks including (but not limited to) React, Next.js, Vue, Nuxt, Gatsby, Astro, Svelte, Eleventy, and more
- Various styling approaches, ranging from standard CSS to Tailwind to CSS-in-JS and everything in between
Within 1 month, you will:
- Learn about Netlify and the Jamstack ecosystem
- Have one-on-one sessions with key stakeholders to gather context
- Have pairing sessions with teammates to learn the team's conventions for building and maintaining high-quality software
- Get familiar with the codebase and issue management for existing templates
- Get comfortable with the code you'll own by tackling your first issues and pull requests
Within 3 months, you will:
- Establish strong asynchronous communication skills as a member of a fully remote team
- Develop a sense of the community's interests and needs that will guide decisions
- Become proficient and managing and solving community issues
- Deliver well-tested, high quality 'getting started' templates that can be offered as part of Netlify's 'getting started' experience
- Create relationships with ecosystem framework maintainers to ensure our templates follow best practices and take advantage of the best each framework has to offer
Within 6 months, you will:
- Become a framework polyglot who can confidently dive into any Jamstack framework to diagnose and solve problems
- Understand the needs of the Jamstack community well enough to build new templates to help them reach their goals faster
- Have a strong, collaborative relationship with Product and Engineering to keep our template roadmap aligned with both the community and Netlify's goals
Who should apply?
We're opening this role to all experience levels. The thing we care about most is that you're a good communicator and that you love learning and pick things up quickly. Everything else we can teach you on the job. So even if you're not sure, apply anyways!
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered and engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. As a distributed-first organization we want to make sure wherever our team is we find inventive ways to collaborate, debate, and learn from each other.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.