With over 2 million developers worldwide, Netlify is leading the transition to modern Jamstack-based web development. By uniting the ecosystem of developer tools and technologies, Netlify makes it easier than ever to build, deploy, and scale web applications
We are excited to announce our most recent Series D fundraise of $105M led by Bessemer Venture Partners, with participation from our existing investors Andreessen Horowitz, BOND, EQT Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Mango Capital and Menlo Ventures with an overall $2B valuation.
Though our team is growing fast, we’ve managed to stay tight-knit while welcoming newcomers to the fold. We hail from around the globe with diverse backgrounds, we’re ~40% woman or non-binary, and are composed of 29 different nationalities.
We aim to create a company culture of empowerment where the best idea can come from anywhere, as we believe that empowered and engaged team members do the best work. We strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement—not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company.
About the team:
Netlify is built and maintained by a growing group of almost 200 cross-functional contributors. We're at a key time in our evolution, building our Documentation team to support an increasing rate of product additions and enhancements across our platform development teams. We're looking for a development-savvy Staff Technical Writer to help write and review documentation and craft UI copy. The Docs team is a small but growing group whose members work together and with internal stakeholders to strive for clarity, consistency, and accuracy across the entire customer experience.
We welcome a new hire who will not just expand the Docs team's bandwidth for documenting new product features and improving existing content. We're looking for a team member who enjoys mentoring others and can establish a foundational focus area over time. We're eager to meet people who are interested in increasing the impact and reach of the team by following their passions and drawing on their particular experience. For example, we could imagine our new Staff Technical Writer expanding our data analysis to help shape the docs roadmap / measure success or working closely with our backend team to level up our API documentation.
At Netlify, we aim to create a company culture of empowerment where the best idea can come from anywhere. We believe that empowered and engaged team members do the best work. We don’t want you to work too hard (burnout is real), but we also want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome is also real) - and we’ll help you do that!
Who you are:
- A curious, life-long learner
- A kind-hearted collaborator who balances an informed viewpoint with humbleness
- Enthusiastic about identifying problems or opportunities for improvement but equally eager to propose solutions
- Someone who enjoys getting things done
- Familiar with web technologies but willing to quickly research and describe something that may be in an unfamiliar domain
- A mentor who gives and receives feedback thoughtfully
What you'll bring:
- Clear, consistent, and correct writing in English
- Precise attention to detail
- Ability to review the writing of others with empathy, attention to detail, and a focus on clear content organization
- Desire to work within established processes and help make iterative improvements to them
- Experience with Git and docs-as-code workflows
- Familiarity with API documentation principles and tools preferred but not required
- Experience using Netlify is a plus but not required
Within 1 month you'll
- Learn about the Jamstack and dive into the inner workings of our platform.
- Have 1:1s with some of the people you'll be working closely with and get to know your peers in Docs and across your cross-functional team.
- Familiarize yourself with our documentation site as well as other external-facing resources for our customers. While you're there, you'll use your expertise as a beginner to provide feedback on the docs experience.
- Familiarize yourself with our Docs Style Guide and associated linting tools.
- Tackle your first issues by committing changes to our docs site and making UI copy recommendations.
- Help perform documentation reviews with the team.
Within 3 months you'll
- Establish strong async communication rhythms with your cross-functional team, practicing transparency and visibility.
- Gain a more robust understanding of platform features, especially in the assigned product area.
- Join the Docs team rotation: working with Support to determine common customer pitfalls and updating content to help avoid them, reviewing customer feedback on the docs site and performing appropriate follow-up, and leading team triage meetings.
- Publish documentation for your first project. You'll work with the Product and Engineering organization throughout the development process to write and revise documentation for new features. In some cases, a developer or Product Manager will write a first draft or brain dump, and a writer will refine the work. In others, the writer will create the initial draft and gather feedback from internal stakeholders.
- Work with the UX design team to refine the use of customer-facing language in Netlify products.
- Support the Docs team through thoughtful reviews and mentorship of other writers.
Within 6 months you'll
- Contribute to our writing style guide and assist with expansion of linting rules.
- Work within and propose updates to our information architecture to ensure that docs content is discoverable.
- Iterate on docs team processes and related internal docs to improve collaborative efforts.
- Address complicated Docs backlog issues with support from SMEs.
- As a steward of the Netlify knowledge base, impact new product planning by identifying edge cases and interactions with existing products and features.
- Identify a focus area for foundational team progress, gather support for it, and start coordinating an effort to implement your vision.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered and engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. As a distributed-first organization we want to make sure wherever our team is we find inventive ways to collaborate, debate, and learn from each other.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.