At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~40% woman or non-binary, and are composed of 29 different nationalities.
Our most recent fundraise was $63M in Series C to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $107M to date. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp.
About the Opportunity:
Netlify is looking for a Director of Legal to be the first full time legal hire for the company. The role will be the central point of contact for organizing and executing on the company’s legal needs. This is an exciting opportunity to help build a legal function with a rapidly growing Silicon Valley technology company.
What You'll Bring:
- 10+ years combined law firm and/or in-house legal department experience, including areas like corporate governance, product counseling, commercial agreements, contract negotiations and an understanding of global data privacy laws and principles, including GDPR and CCPA.
- Juris Doctorate/United States law degree and active bar membership in at least one US state (strong preference for California bar membership) OR international equivalent
- You’re comfortable working independently and are able to identify opportunities to escalate an issue or solicit advice from outside counsel
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual curiosity, and are comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about the business, how the ecosystem works, what processes we use, and where we're headed
- Get to know the key stakeholders across the business in sales, engineering & finance
- Get a good understanding of our legal processes today and the develop relationships with all external legal vendors
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Investigate our gaps and identify opportunities for improvement to create the foundational plan around how to tackle various projects
- Develop a comprehensive plan for our privacy program, deal desk and overall legal strategy
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Be a trusted contributor for not only legal compliance matters but also act as a trusted business advisor
- Continue to develop and own protocols and workflows to prepare legal functions for scalable growth by partnering with business teams (sales, engineering & finance) to build a cooperative, effective, practical and efficient culture around transactions and compliance.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered and engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. As a distributed-first organization we want to make sure wherever our team is we find inventive ways to collaborate, debate, and learn from each other.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.