With over 2 million developers worldwide, Netlify is leading the transition to modern Jamstack-based web development. By uniting the ecosystem of developer tools and technologies, Netlify makes it easier than ever to build, deploy, and scale web applications
We are excited to announce our most recent Series D fundraise of $105M led by Bessemer Venture Partners, with participation from our existing investors Andreessen Horowitz, BOND, EQT Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Mango Capital and Menlo Ventures with an overall $2B valuation.
Though our team is growing fast, we’ve managed to stay tight-knit while welcoming newcomers to the fold. We hail from around the globe with diverse backgrounds, we’re ~40% woman or non-binary, and are composed of 29 different nationalities.
We aim to create a company culture of empowerment where the best idea can come from anywhere, as we believe that empowered and engaged team members do the best work. We strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams.We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement—not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company.
About the Opportunity:
At Netlify, we’re building a system that supports millions of customer sites, processing over a petabyte of data. Over 10% of Internet users visit at least one site hosted by Netlify every 30 days. With our team, we truly empower our engineers through an autonomous pod-based model that allows our teams to own various stages of the customer journey. We’ve been remote-first since our inception and are globally distributed, spanning across North America, Europe, and Africa. We’re biased towards asynchronous planning and communication, meaning less meetings and more execution. We take documentation seriously and place our values of transparency, empowerment, and commitment at the forefront of everything we do. We’re driven by passion and we make sure that everyone on the team knows their value, feels ownership over their work, and can quickly see the impact of their efforts. Beyond just hiring smart, empathetic team members, we foster a culture where there are no dumb questions and our team can get access to the resources that they need to continue to learn. As a remote-first company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Netlify is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Netlify, you'll work with a smart set of team members who are very motivated to keep learning and continuing to grow each other in a supportive way. With our team, you'll will have a broad impact, a deep product company experience, and an interest in advancing the team and company from a technical direction. Check out this blog post to learn more about what it's like to a backend engineer at Netlify! Interested in learning more about our career progression? Read this post!
- A breadth of experience in Go or other compiled programming languages. Our main language is Go, but we also have projects span across multiple languages. We believe in picking the right language for the right problem.
- A history of delivering product features & deploying services with a high level of comfort iterating on a system while it is constantly serving traffic. Our system is always on with demanding availability and throughput challenges.
- A good sense of how to work with web & CDN technologies, with some experience around systems performance.
- Curiosity and openness to learning new technologies and best practices.
- Passion for working in a collaborative environment, where you enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise working across distributed locations around the world.
- Learn about the business and dive into the inner workings of our platform.
- Have one-on-one's and pairing sessions with some of the people you'll be working closely with and get to know your engineering peers across our product umbrella.
- Do a deep dive into the code base and learn more about Go and other technologies in our stack.
- Tackle your first ticket by committing changes & helping perform code reviews with the team.
- Establish strong async communication rhythms with your peers and leaders, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress against areas of focus
- Join the on-call rotation and help the team pay down technical debt and improve reliability
- Gain a more robust understanding of the needs of the product and become more comfortable with diagnosing problems
- Deliver on your first project and help teams iterate on meaningful customer outcomes
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert in an area that interests you
- Contribute to building reliable microservices that are deployed into our Kubernetes cluster
- Make a significant impact to our team by designing an extensive scalable solution to accommodate our rapidly growing user base
- Develop automated abuse prevention tooling and building cutting edge features to empower developers
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Have significant ownership over making extensive contributions to a large scale system that delivers insights about traffic, function invocations, and other edge visibility issues.
- Extensively collaborate with engineering leadership to level up the team and continually improve the scalability and observability of the platform.
- Start to coach and mentor other team members within Netlify's engineering teams.
- Drive cross-team initiatives with high impact in the business and infrastructure.
At Netlify, we are a growing company that is constantly evolving so this timeline is intended to show you an example of what you can expect from the role. Keep in mind we're always iterating, learning, and growing, thus expect these guidelines to continue to evolve as we expand. We're excited for you to join us on the journey!
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered and engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. As a distributed-first organization we want to make sure wherever our team is we find inventive ways to collaborate, debate, and learn from each other.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.