At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~40% woman or non-binary, and are composed of 29 different nationalities.
Our most recent fundraise was $63M in Series C to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $107M to date. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp.
About the Opportunity:
At Netlify, we’re building a system that supports millions of customer sites, processing over a petabyte of data and serving over 10% of Internet users each month. With our team, we truly empower our engineers through an autonomous pod-based model that allows our teams to own various stages of the customer journey. We’ve been remote-first since our inception and are globally distributed, spanning across North America, Europe, and Africa. We’re biased towards asynchronous planning and communication, meaning less meetings and more execution. We take documentation seriously and place our values of transparency, empowerment, and commitment at the forefront of everything we do. Beyond just hiring smart, empathetic team members, we foster a culture where there are no dumb questions and our team can get access to the resources that they need to continue to learn.
As the Engineering Manager for our Serverless pod, you will be responsible for planning and driving execution of product features and engineering efforts that support Netlify's Functions, Identity, and Forms offerings. You will be managing a team of engineers and will champion hiring practices as the team grows. As Engineering Manager, you will also be responsible for ensuring the happiness and productivity of the members of your team while fostering a culture of mentorship and collaborative delivery. As a leader with our Serverless pod, you'll partner with a Product Manager to drive quick iterations of our projects, coordinate with other teams to ensure transparency around your work, and define and measure success.
What You'll Bring:
- A history of managing engineers through periods of change and iteration
- A breadth of experience in working remotely with a high-level of asynchronous communication
- A history of working with an agile team, delivering SaaS products quickly and driving iterative processes
- A high level of comfort with ambiguity and interest in making a difference
- A good sense of ability to work autonomously and keep peers and leadership informed about progress and blockers
- Leads by example, seek to understand through active listening and questioning, actively address problems you identify and assume responsibility for your work
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Meet with peers, reports, and leaders around the company to gain a sense of the team and the organization as a whole.
- Familiarize yourself with the product and with the areas of focus the Serverless pod has within it
- Lead execution for the pod and ensure the team scopes work properly and ships reliably.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Become very familiar with the current state of the pod projects as well as the roadmap.
- Regularly update leadership on the progress of the Serverless pod projects and own the engineering metrics for the pod
- Have regular career growth conversations with your direct reports and coach them in areas of improvement
- Implement changes to drive the engineering metrics in the right direction
- Start contributing to some engineering leadership projects across the organization
- Improve and simplify process where needed with an eye on iteration and efficiency
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Assess the needs for the Serverless pod for the remainder of the year and hire engineers.
- Onboard new engineers and help with transitions if we shuffle teams around.
- Understand the technical aspects of the product and contribute to where we should invest as an engineering team.
- Participate in conversations about process standardization across the engineering organization.
- Help your engineers drive larger engineering initiatives like breaking up the monolith, a migration of our CSS to Tailwind, or ensuring we are following our best practices regarding operational maturity of our services.
At Netlify, we are a growing company that is constantly evolving so this timeline is intended to show you an example of what you can expect from the role. Keep in mind we're always iterating, learning, and growing, thus expect these guidelines to continue to evolve as we expand. We're excited for you to join us on the journey!
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered and engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. As a distributed-first organization we want to make sure wherever our team is we find inventive ways to collaborate, debate, and learn from each other.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.