At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $107M to date.
About the Opportunity
As a Principal Frontend Engineer at Netlify, you'll work with a smart set of team members who are very motivated to keep learning and continuing to grow each other in a supportive way. We have a blameless culture where we solve problems as a team and everyone works together towards a common goal.
In this role, you will work with the engineering leadership, engineers across the org, product managers, and designers. You will work on the React codebase that powers app.netlify.com. You will participate in regular code reviews, help and guide teammates around frontend architecture and lead the frontend guild (made up of about 10 frontend engineers). You will help develop the technical strategy and roadmap for our React frontend and work with engineers and engineering managers to prioritize engineering-led projects.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Has a deep appreciation for semantic HTML and accessibility, and keeps these at the forefront of their mind while developing new UIs
- Has experience implementing design systems
- Loves a Git-centric workflow with continuous deployment and solid tooling
- Is unafraid of digging into new tools, frameworks, and platforms
- Thrives in an environment where experimentation and failure are celebrated
- Gives and receives feedback with regard for both emotional and technical concerns
- Has stellar async communication with a bias towards written communication and well-written documentation.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is experienced in delivering product features in a rapidly changing environment
- Is invested in delivering a high quality experience to the end user while maintaining a healthy codebase
- Enjoys working with a diverse group of people with different expertise, working in distributed locations.
- Is willing to get their hands dirty updating dependencies, refactoring class-based components to hooks as needed, and supporting the maintenance and modernization of our React codebase.
- Has a desire to work at a high level with leadership and engineers as well as continue to implement solutions directly in the code.
- Is willing to mentor individuals and raise the skill level of engineers across the org.
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Understand the complexities around our business, customer, and engineering needs and define the problem spaces and gaps
- Conduct a deep dive into our tech and application stack to understand our architecture and roadmap
- Have one-on-ones and pairing sessions with some of the people that you’ll be working closely with, including members of the Platform, Data, Product, Leadership and Site Reliability teams.
- Begin identifying opportunities for improvement and defining a roadmap of how to solve any gaps
- Learn from the team during weekly in design reviews, demos, and architectural meetings
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Have gained a robust understanding of the needs of the frontend architecture and work with principal engineers to understand the gaps.
- Assess risks and start defining and prioritizing engineering projects for the frontend guild.
- Begin leading frontend guild meetings and planning the next frontend all-hands.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Developing plan for scaling our frontend architecture to allow for feature teams to work independently without duplicating efforts.
- Working with product and the rest of engineering to design next generation products
- Participate in all phases of development of large projects, providing scalability, maintainability and performance perspectives to teams
At Netlify, we are a growing company that is constantly evolving so this timeline is intended to show you an example of what you can expect from the role. Keep in mind we're always iterating, learning, and growing, thus expect these guidelines to continue to evolve as we expand. We're excited for you to join us on the journey!
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.