At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We've recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $108M to date.
About the Opportunity
The Support team is small but mighty; Netlify is a fast-growing startup. You will be working across the company: with the founders, developers, our designers, and marketers. We need people who can help us build a path towards the future. Everyone at Netlify is great at their work and interested in the customer-centric feedback we can provide from Support. We’re also interested in helping you succeed at your goals of the moment – be that answering a customer question, learning a new web framework, or honing your blog-writing and public speaking skills. To learn more about our team and who we are click here.
A successful candidate enjoys helping people succeed with technology, isn’t afraid to help improve our practices and our product, and loves to learn. From our UI, to our service, to our customer support: our customer experience is pretty well regarded. You won’t be yelled at by angry customers, and you won’t be apologizing nonstop for broken features. Please take a look at our Support Values document, and see if you agree with the way we do our work. We are looking for someone to help us with that mission and provide technical support to our developer customers during EU business hours Sunday through Thursday.
Most of our support is conducted in our Community Forums, over email, and occasionally in Slack, and much of our team collaboration is in Slack, so great written communication skills are a must. If you’re a good fit, you’ll agree with what this linked blog post has to say about being excited to do (technical) support . This is not to say that you can't choose to move into other roles within the company, but instead that right now, and for the next while, providing technical support is what you want to do. You should be up for a challenge and enjoy it. Sometimes you won’t know the right answer, but you’re the kind of person who can always come up with somewhere to look for it—sometimes you’ll just have to Google it. You should be curious, motivated, independent, and flexible. You will be learning new things every day. You will be solving hard problems, and this needs to bring you joy. We don’t want you to pretend to be something you don't want to be, and we won't tell you how to feel, but we do hope you’re excited to grow.
You'll be advising people on connecting systems outside of our scope (databases, remote websites, DNS providers) to our service, as well as helping debug front-end code and site building software like yarn, npm, and webpack. While you will definitely learn more about these technologies as you work here, it would be useful to arrive with an understanding of them. To ensure your success on our team, your colleagues will work with you extensively as you develop familiarity with our systems and processes. We have a thorough learning checklist to help you cover all of the product areas, and you'll be working with customers from week 1 onwards. By the time you've worked here for 3 months, you'll be familiar with all product areas (and gaining expertise in your chosen focus areas), and you'll be working to improve the training for the next hire and will be working with customers of all levels on topics spanning many areas of our services. Netlify is constantly releasing new features, so you won't run out of things to learn!
What You'll Bring:
There are some technologies you’ll need to have experience with and a solid understanding of:
- You can troubleshoot and explain networking issues and concepts like HTTP(S), DNS, and network proxies.
- You can find your way around using the terminal command line.
- You've used Git and are looking forward to learning even more about it.
- Leads by example, seek to understand through active listening and questioning, actively address problems you identify and assume responsibility for your work.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Be working with customers (with an active mentor) as you learn more about our systems and processes
- Have frequent one-on-one calls to work with your teammates and manager
- Be an active participant & be learning from the team during our 2x weekly syncs
- Suggest improvements for our processes, internal documentation, and tooling
- Be a large percentage of the way through our onboarding training (learning & testing all aspects of our service and learning the processes and related information)
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Have completed our onboarding training and updated it with your feedback for the next learner
- Be comfortable working on your own
- Be comfortable being on-call with teammate backup
- Still be learning!
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- You'll be a subject-matter-expert within Support (and the company!) in some product areas
- Be helping to mentor new hires in the team (and likely also teaching those outside of it, for instance Sales team members)
- Lead cross-team collaboration efforts such as pairings or Support-led QA for new features
- Regularly file feature requests and bug reports
- Still be learning!
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Designing and suggesting cross-team collaboration efforts
- Working more closely with our VIP customers
- Leading process or workflow change for our team and potentially beyond (for instance, how we partner with the individual engineering teams you are primary liaison for)
- Still be learning!
At Netlify, we are a growing company that is constantly evolving so the timeline is intended to show you what you can expect from the role. Keep in mind we're always iterating, learning, and growing thus expect these guidelines to continue to evolve as we expand. We're excited for you to join us on the journey!
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, we ask that you attach a thoughtful cover letter explaining why you enjoy doing technical support or providing customer service, and why you’d like to work at Netlify. Hopefully, you can also link to a sample of your experiences communicating with technical audiences in a public setting such as community forums, along with a brief (or thorough) listing of your relevant work history. Once you do, we’ll get back to you with next steps. When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.