At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $107M to date.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
About the Team
The mission of Developer Experience at Netlify is to ensure end to end quality for our customers. This includes, but is not limited to: making sure our messaging, docs, and demos are world-class, spending part of the year working directly on the product engineering team, and advocating on behalf of users to ensure their success navigating our platform.
About the Role
The Developer Experience team at Netlify needs a Lead Integrations Engineer! Your job will be to research and understand how the various developer tools in the Jamstack ecosystem — such as site-building tools like Next.js, Nuxt, Gatsby, and others — and build solutions to improve the experience of using those tools with Netlify.
This team is the driving force behind tools like next-on-netlify and the Next build plugin. Upon joining, you'll be working to improve those tools as well as build out new integrations for other tools and frameworks.
You'll be joining as the leader of this team, acting in a player-coach role. This means you'll both be doing tasks as an individual contributor as well as helping plan and prioritize work for the team to align community, business, and engineering goals.
Some of the challenges you'll be working on:
- Responding quickly to changes in the Jamstack ecosystem. Netlify is the glue layer for the Jamstack, enabling developers to ship quickly and confidently using any tool they prefer. To keep this promise to our community, we need to rapidly respond to new developments in the community to maximize our interoperability with ecosystem tooling.
- Working across teams to improve the experience of using tools with Netlify. Solid integration goes beyond code. This role will also work with other parts of the organization, including Product and Engineering, to help identify opportunities that will improve the community by improving Netlify.
- Leading from the front as a player-coach. This is a lead role that will be leading the integrations team. It will be weighted toward individual contributions, but it's critical to have the organizational skills, deep empathy, and big picture understanding of goals required to direct and grow a team.
You're Perfect for This Job If:
- You enjoy figuring out how things work. Digging into someone else's code and figuring out how to work with it is your idea of a good time. This job will involve a large amount of spelunking in ecosystem open source codebases, and that sounds like an exciting challenge.
- You measure your own success by the progress of the people around you. To you, a job well done means providing opportunities and support that allow your teammates and community to thrive. The best outcome you can imagine is seeing the community succeed and knowing you played a small part in unblocking them.
- You see opportunities and translate them into action plans. You find connections between different parts of the product and the ecosystem — and you notice where the gaps are. You enjoy creating proposals that link the opportunity you see to business goals, and you're willing to work across teams to build consensus and momentum.
- You thrive on a little bit of chaos. The ecosystem is constantly changing, and we have no idea what will be released tomorrow. Quickly adapting to whatever the community throws at you is exactly the kind of challenge that excites you.
None of these things are required, but it'll definitely be handy if:
- You are an experienced open source maintainer and/or contributor. You know how to navigate the open source community, and have worked on code in public before.
- You have led a team before. You've worked as a team lead or manager before, so you know how much work and care goes into it. You enjoyed that part of the role and want to do more of it.
- You have experience with the Jamstack ecosystem. You've built things with Next.js, Nuxt, Gatsby, Eleventy, Scully, or their ilk. You've deployed serverless functions. You know how OAuth workflows, err, work.
This Job Might Not Be for You If:
- You aren't interested in management. This is a player-coach role — that means there will be management duties. If you're not comfortable with giving candid, actionable feedback, providing a safe space for people, and doing the work to meet your team's needs, this is not the role for you.
- You need predictability in your tasks. While Netlify is very good at work-life balance, this role is reactive in nature. Responding to community needs means that the whole roadmap can change with no notice when a popular tool announces a new major release. If the idea of plans shifting as the ecosystem evolves sounds too stressful, this is not the role for you.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.