We’re a venture-backed company, and so far we've raised ~$45M from Andreessen Horowitz and Kleiner Perkins, Bloomberg, and prominent founders and professionals in our space.
About the role:
The role breaks down into three big parts:
- Expansion: We are rapidly hiring and we need to expand the team. You will help us continue to build a diverse and inclusive team. This involves identifying skills the team needs, shepherding candidates through the hiring process, and building a more reliable, unbiased, and fair hiring process.
- Delivery: Balancing technical debt and new features is always nuanced. You will partner with the product management team to manage this balance in accordance with the needs of the business. You will help define a project management process to help delivery and predictability with the goal of continuously shipping code to production.
- Cultivation: You'll be instrumental in growing the careers of the individual engineers on your team. This means being their advocate and helping guide them in the direction they want. It also means being a culture driver on the team, fostering a positive, trusting, and supportive team.
We have a small headquarters in San Francisco but we are a largely distributed engineering team. You will need to enable the team to work productively across different timezones. Fostering good habits of documentation, empathy, integrity to delivery on committed work are some of the key elements for success on our team. Experience working and managing remote teams is a big plus.
- Experienced manager of a technical backend team
- Understanding of how engineering teams collaborate and track a project delivery
- Familiarity, or willingness to learn, about the underlying system architecture of a PaaS (e.g. APIs, databases, distributed systems)
- Commitment to designing a hiring process that is fair, efficient, and repeatable
- Communicate priorities and expectations to both team and leadership
- Passion for mentorship and advocacy for your team members in their career development
- Ability to work across multiple timezones with remote colleagues
- A desire to succeed personally through the health and success of the team
About the team:
The backend services team works in conjunction with all of the engineering teams, both up and down stack. There is a lot of overlap and coordination with the product teams to improve the experience for end users. There is also a lot of coordination with the platform and SRE teams to focus on coordination and execution of the system to hit our reliability and scalability goals. To learn more about our team and who we are click here.
The team is the primary owner of Netlify's API which stands at the core of the system. They're also responsible for some of the other microservices that impact the experience of end users. The code is usually a blend of Ruby and Go.
The company is remote friendly and the teams are distributed across the globe, largely in western Europe and North America. Often coordination will have to take into account lag, timezones, and autonomy.
About 63% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco. However to maintain a distributed culture we have Tuesdays and Thursdays as work from home days.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary, great benefits, and equity. We encourage you to speak at conferences and will pay your attendance costs as you represent Netlify at these events.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include: A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify. A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.