At Netlify, we're building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We're aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. As a part of that mission, we created Netlify CMS, an open source React app for managing static content via Git APIs.
We’re a venture-backed company, and so far we've raised ~$45M from Andreessen Horowitz and Kleiner Perkins, Bloomberg, and prominent founders and professionals in our space.
About the role
We are looking for someone with a background in systems programming, or programming language runtimes, to help build Netlify's next generation of Edge infrastructure. You will closely collaborate with our Platform and SRE engineers, as well as our Developer Experience team to enable the next million developers using Netlify.
You’ll own major components of our Edge infrastructure, designing the architecture, writing code and tests, and analyzing data and consumer feedback. In doing so, you’ll regularly engage with our customers, WebAssembly runtime implementers, and W3C working groups.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Engaging with the WebAssembly Working Group and other standardization bodies.
- Bringing WebAssembly to new use cases for Netlify customers.
- Working with other members of the CTO Office to drive the future of our Edge platform.
- Helping other teams building Netlify's infrastructure to keep up with our growth.
- Staying up to date with the development of Internet protocols and new research in the academic field.
- Contributing to Open Source projects like Apache TrafficServer, Wasmer, and Lucet.
Some characteristics that we look for when hiring for this role:
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to translate complex solutions and features into delightful experiences for our customers.
- At least 2 years of experience developing in languages such as Rust, C++, or C.
- Experience in systems programming, language design and implementation, or similar domains.
- Familiarity with the Chromium project and the Node.js ecosystem.
- Understanding of core networking concepts, like HTTP, TCP/IP, TLS.
- Curiosity to learn and guide new Internet protocols, like QUIC.
About the team
The engineering team is small but mighty; Netlify is a fast-growing startup. You will be working across the company: with our founders, designers, support, sales, and marketers. We need people who can help us build a path towards the future. To learn more about our team and who we are click here.
We believe that empowered, engaged employees do the best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco, or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot - particularly, pairing and collaborating - we want you to succeed! We don’t want you to work too hard (burnout is real), and we do want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome is also real) - and we’ll help you do that.
Netlify is devoted to building a team of people with different backgrounds and lifestyles. We eagerly invite applications from people of all kinds. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please do let us know.
About 55% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco. However to maintain a distributed culture we have Tuesdays and Thursdays as work from home days.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary, great benefits, and equity. We encourage you to speak at conferences and will pay your attendance costs as you represent Netlify at these events.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include: A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you enjoy the role and why you’d like to work at Netlify. A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.