Netlify is changing the way people build web projects, and people seem to like it! We are a growing team of talented, thoughtful, and diverse people rapidly shipping features to our customers. Netlify’s bet on a modern decoupled web is quickly coming true. The web is rapidly changing away from monolithic apps and web developers are storming ahead. Netlify is built to cater to that movement, and in just a few years we've on-boarded more than half a million businesses and developers, and are daily building and serving millions of web projects around the globe.
We’re a venture-backed company, and so far we've raised ~$45M from Andreessen Horowitz and Kleiner Perkins, Bloomberg, and prominent founders and professionals in our space.
User research supports product by generating new and useful user insights, working closely with designers, sales and engineering to iteratively improve Netlify for our users.
We're looking for someone with excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to quickly develop recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative evidence, to reveal actionable insights from the Netlify user base, which consists largely of highly engaged front-end engineers and their colleagues.
You will need to be confident in explaining user needs to your colleagues across the company, and acting as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and to management.
You'll also have experience with and be comfortable working with agile development teams. You will be able to introduce user research practices into a team, establish a user-centered culture, and continually monitor and improve practices.
- Working with the product team to develop and advocate appropriate research strategies to understand user needs for a service, and to continually test and improve the service.
- Fostering a culture of team involvement in user research, team analysis, design rationale, and decision-making based on user needs.
- Planning, designing, preparing, and running user research activities to support the design, development and continuous improvement of Netlify (including contextual discovery, experience mapping, diary studies, early stage concept and prototype testing, lab-based and contextual usability and accessibility testing).
- Designing and running contextual and discovery research to develop a deep understanding of the needs of all users of the product.
- Managing the usability and accessibility testing process from recruiting participants, designing test tasks, and preparing discussion guides, to test moderation, analysis, and presenting results.
- Designing, executing, and analyzing quantitative surveys.
- Leading colleagues to analyze and understand research data so that research is shareable and traceable.
- Effectively communicating user research findings to the team and the wider organization, so that they share a strong and empathetic understanding of their users (including presentations at show and tells, designing and maintaining research outputs on the team wall, formal reports).
- Working closely with designers and developers to turn user research findings into stories and actions that lead to valuable product features.
Skills and experience
It’s essential that you have:
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience in, and passion for user-centered design practices for web and software development.
- Proven experience of understanding user needs for web content, tools, and transactional services, especially those with the most complex user journeys.
- Proven experience of designing, facilitating, and analyzing a wide range of qualitative and quantitative user research methods.
- Strong understanding of strengths and limitations of different research methods.
- Proven experience of presenting user research findings in a wide variety of formats and contexts.
- Proven experience introducing and establishing user research practices in an organization.
- Proven experience of working in an agile development environment with designers, documentarians, engineers and product managers to create new digital products and services.
It is desirable that you have
- 5+ years experience working in a user research role
- 3+ years of experience with related technology
- Familiarity with developer tooling and the community around it
Netlify is a ~60-person tightly knit team, consisting almost exclusively of very senior talent. We nurture the culture by carefully adding passionate and empathetic people as we keep scaling.
We’re a diverse group. Roughly 40% of the company are women / non-binary, and we have 18 nationalities distributed in 16 locations around the world.
We strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. To get a sense of the new employee experience, check out this Medium post from one of our engineers, Luna Yu. To more about our team and who we are click here.
We believe that empowered, engaged employees do the best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco, or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot - particularly, pairing and collaborating - we want you to succeed! We don’t want you to work too hard (burnout is real), and we do want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome is also real) - and we’ll help you do that.
Netlify is devoted to building a team of people with different backgrounds and lifestyles. We eagerly invite applications from people of all kinds. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please do let us know.
~55% of the company are remote, (so far North America & Europe), and the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco. However, to maintain a distributed culture, we have Tuesdays and Thursdays as work from home days.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary, great benefits, and equity. We encourage you to speak at conferences, and will pay your attendance costs as you represent Netlify at these events.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include:
- A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you enjoy user research and why you’d like to work at Netlify.
- A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about next steps.