At Netlify, we're building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We're aiming to change the landscape of modern web development.The mission of our platform engineers is to scale Netlify’s microservices infrastructure for the next million users.We recently raised $53M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This round was led by the EQT Ventures with participation from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz & Kleiner Perkins. This brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $97M to date. Other past investors include Bloomberg Beta, Designer Fund, and Tank Hill Ventures, as well as the founders of Figma, GitHub, Slack and Yelp.
About the role:
The mission of our SRE team is to scale Netlify’s infrastructure for the next million users.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you'll be part of the team that builds and maintains the infrastructure that powers Netlify. You'll make decisions that will have big impact on how the infrastructure evolves and grows. We want to make it more reliable for customers, and easier to use for Netlify engineers.
We're looking for people with a strong background or interest in systems. Whether you're a seasoned systems developer or a software developer that wants to focus on systems, we want to hear from you! Our team works remotely across North America and European timezones.
What role does SRE play at Netlify?
- We design and build the infrastructure used by all of Netlify’s engineering teams.
- We build internal tools to help engineers manage, release, and scale the Netlify platform.
- We debug production issues across services and stack levels.
- We work with engineers across the company to identify key areas for reliability improvement.
Examples of SRE projects at Netlify:
- Planning and implementing multi-region setups: Regional outages are rare, but they happen. We made our core clusters (like databases and Kubernetes) tolerant of outages affecting all availability zones in a single region.
- Developing automation tools for Netlify engineers: We created a tool that generates all the scaffolding needed to write and deploy new services to our Kubernetes clusters.
- Automating DDoS mitigation procedures: We have written several utilities that protect our CDN against attacks, like our tools for distributing IP bans to all nodes or throttling requests to our origin servers.
- Fast provisioning: We are migrating our old automation process to one which creates new nodes and requires almost no manual intervention and places the focus on speed.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience bringing software to production at high scale.
- Has experience building and supporting a SaaS product.
- Can debug complex problems involving different parts of the stack.
- Cares about the needs of the users, both internal and external.
- Is familiar with Linux internals and its shell.
- Is familiar with internet standards like HTTP, DNS, and TLS.
- Is curious and open to learning new technologies and best practices.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment, working with others across multiple teams.
- Enjoys working with a diverse group of people with different expertise, working in distributed locations.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include: A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify. A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.